YouTube doesn’t have a parental control feature or any other limitations to kids’ profiles. For this specific purpose, Google launched a separate service called YouTube Kids. In the YouTube Kids app, you will get only the appropriate content for kids. There will be no adult content in the YouTube Kids app. Like the YouTube app on Android TV, the YouTube Kids app is also available for Android TV and Android TV Box.
How to Install YouTube Kids on Android TV
You can install the YouTube Kids app from Android TV OS 7.0 and above. If you are using the older version, update your Android TV.
1. Go to the Android TV home screen.
2. Choose the Apps option from the screen.
3. Select the Play Store icon to open it.
4. Click the Search icon and search for YouTube Kids app.
5. Choose the YouTube Kids icon from the search results.
6. Click the Install button to get the YouTube Kids app.
7. Now, open the YouTube Kids app on your Android TV.
How to Activate YouTube Kids on Android TV
1. Enter the year of your birth in the space provided to verify your age.
9. Select the Sign In option and get an activation code on your screen.
10. Visit the YouTube Kids activation website (https://kids.youtube.com/activate) on your smartphone or PC.
11. Enter the activation code and click the Next button.
12. Verify it by signing in with your Google account.
13. After the verification, the YouTube Kids app will be activated on your TV.
14. Now, your kid can watch all the videos on YouTube Kids under your surveillance.
How to Set Up and Use YouTube Kids on Android TV
To set up and activate the YouTube Kids app on your Android TV, you need to verify your age and link your Google account.
1. When you open the YouTube Kids app, you will get the Welcome screen. Tap the Get Started button.
2. On the next screen, enter your year of birth to verify your age. You can’t skip this step.
3. Now, complete the simple math problem.
4. After that, you will get the Terms and Conditions screen. Read it and click the I Agree button.
5. Now, choose the age group of your kid, Preschool (4 & below), Younger (5-7), or Older (8-12).
6. When you choose an age group, you will get the related content recommendations. Click the Next button.
7. Then, choose the Turn Search On or Turn Search Off button to enable or disable the Search function in the YouTube Kids app.
8. Then, read the Flagging Videos notice to complete the setup process.
9. In the YouTube Kids app, you will get four categories of videos. Holidays, Shows, Music, Learning, and Explore.
10. Entertain your kids with the videos.
How to Cast YouTube Kids to Android TV
Both the YouTube Kids app and website are compatible with the Cast support. With that, you can cast the YouTube Kids videos on your Android TV.
From Android or iOS Smartphones
1. Connect your smartphone to the same WiFi as your Android TV.
2. On your smartphone, download and install the YouTube Kids app from the Google Play Store or the App Store.
3. Sign in with the YouTube Kids account in the app.
4. Play any content from the app that you want to watch on TV.
5. Click on the Cast icon at the top of the app screen.
6. From the list of available devices to cast with, choose your Android TV.
7. Soon, you can see that the app is cast onto your TV.
From PC Using Chrome Web Browser
1. Turn on your PC and connect to the same WiFi as your AndroidTV.
2. Open the Chrome web browser on your PC.
3. Visit the YouTube Kids website (youtubekids.com).
4. Complete the sign-in process using the on-screen instructions.
5. Then, play any video from the YouTube Kids website.
6. On the Playback screen, tap the Cast icon.
7. On the list of devices, choose your Android TV.
8. Now, the video will be cast on your TV.
How to Sideload YouTube Kids on Android TV
In addition to installing and casting the app, you can also sideload the YouTube Kids app on your Android TV using its APK file.
1. Install the Downloader app on your Android TV.
2. Open the Android TV Settings menu and click the Device Preferences option.
3. Select the Security & Restrictions feature on the next screen.
4. Choose the Unknown Sources option.
5. Select the Downloader app and turn on the toggle.
6. Now, open the Downloader app and click the Allow button.
7. Enter the AFTVnews Plugin URL (browser.aftvnews.com) and download the plugin.
8. Then, enter the YouTube Kids Android TV APK URL (bit.ly/3YawxWf) and click the GO button.
9. Download the APK file and tap the Install button.
10. Open the YouTube Kids app and complete the setup process.
11. Now, you can watch all the YouTube Kids videos on your TV.
YouTube Kids app offers a lot of parental controls and other control options to monitor your kid. Some of the important features of YouTube Kids are listed below.
- In the YouTube Kids app, you can create up to eight kid profiles.
- If you can block a video or a channel that you think is inappropriate, the video or channel will be removed from all the profiles.
- You can turn off the Search function on the YouTube Kids app.
- You can always check the watch history of any kid profile you want.
- To control the YouTube Kids app usage, you can set time limits.
Supported Android TVs
- Sony Smart TV
- Panasonic Smart TV
- TCL Smart TV
- Philips Smart TV
- JVC Smart TV
- Hisense Smart TV
- Mi Smart TV
Supported Android TV Boxes
- Nvidia Shield TV
- DIRECTV Stream Box
- AIR TV
- Mi Box
- Ematic Android TV Box
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can create a separate account for your kid on your Android TV with all the needed parental controls.
Yes, you can enable the Parental Controls on Android TV from the Settings menu.