WhatsApp is one of the most used communication apps in the world. Recently, WhatsApp has introduced a lot of features for smartphones and PCs. But, the one update that still lags in WhatsApp is the support for Android TV and Android TV Box. The WhatsApp app is available only for smartphones and PCs. As of now, you can’t directly install WhatsApp on your Android TV from the Play Store. You have to sideload the app on your Android TV.
How to Sideload WhatsApp on Android TV
With the WhatsApp APK URL, you can sideload the app on your Android TV. Using the Downloader app on Android TV, you can sideload any smartphone app with ease.
1. Turn on your Android TV and open the Google Play Store from the Apps section.
2. Click on the Search icon on the Play Store.
3. Search for Downloader by AFTV news in the search bar.
4. Select the Downloader app icon.
5. On the overview page, select the Install button to get the Downloader app.
6. Within a few minutes, the download process completes.
7. Similarly, install the Sideload Launcher app from the Play Store on your Android TV. Sideload Launcher on Android TV will help you to launch the sideloaded apps.
8. Go to the Settings option on your home screen and tap the Device Preferences option.
9. Next, click on the Security & Restrictions option.
10. Select the Unknown Sources option.
11. Choose the Downloader app and turn on the toggle.
12. Launch the Downloader app on your TV.
13. Follow the prompts and then click on the Allow option.
14. Enter the AFTVnews Plugin download URL (browser.aftvnews.com) to install APK files on the Downloader app.
15. Type the WhatsApp for Android TV APK URL in the search bar.
16. Click on the Go option and download the APK file on your TV.
17. Once done, install the WhatsApp app on your TV.
17. Launch the new WhatsApp app on your TV and start chatting with your friends.
WhatsApp on Android TV – Limitations
As of now, you can’t use the same WhatsApp number on two apps simultaneously. If you use the same WhatsApp number on Android TV, the number will be logged out from your smartphone. To solve this issue, WhatsApp is planning to introduce Companion Mode. With this, you can use the same WhatsApp number for more than one device.
How to Cast WhatsApp on Android TV
Though the cast option is ineffective while chatting, you can cast the WhatsApp video calls to Android TV to get a bigger view.
1. Install the WhatsApp app on your Android smartphone or tablet from the Play Store.
2. Pull down the Notification Panel and tap the Cast icon. The name of the Cast icon may vary based on the brands of smartphones.
3. From the list of available devices, choose your Android TV.
4. With this, you will get your smartphone or tablet screen on the TV.
5. Next, launch WhatsApp and make a video call to your friend.
6. Now, you can see the WhatsApp video call on your Android TV.
How to Use WhatsApp Web on Android TV
You can use WhatsApp Web on your Android TV independently. For the first time alone, you need to pair your WhatsApp account using your smartphone. After that, you can use WhatsApp Web on your TV to chat with your friends and family.
1. Open any of the web browsers on your Android TV.
2. Go to the WhatsApp Web portal.
3. You will get a QR code.
4. Take your smartphone and open the WhatsApp app.
5. Go to the Linked Devices option under the Settings menu. For Android smartphones, the Linked Devices button will appear when you press the three-dotted icon.
6. Now, click the Link a Device button and scan the QR code on your smartphone.
7. After that, your WhatsApp account will be linked to your TV.
8. Now, chat with your friends using WhatsApp Web.
Supported Android TVs
- TCL Smart TV
- Sony Smart TV
- Philips Smart TV
- Panasonic Smart TV
- Mi Smart TV
- OnePlus Smart TV
Supported Android TV Boxes
- AT&T TV Box
- NVIDIA Shield TV
- Mi Box
- Mecool Android TV Box
Frequently Asked Questions
You can’t install the WhatsApp app on your Samsung TV as the app is not available on the Smart Hub.