Tor Browser is one of the best browsers you must try as you can browse anonymously and ensures high privacy. The Tor Browser is free to use and doesn’t charge any premium subscription. If you like to install the Tor Browser on your Android TV, you must sideload it using the Downloader, as there is no official app available for the device. The advantage of using the Tor browser is that it blocks trackers and prevents monitoring the users when surfing the internet. Tor is better than conventional browsers as it allows you to access the websites that were blocked by your home network.
How to Sideload Tor Browser on Android TV
The Tor Browser is yet to be available for Android TV. To use the Tor Browser, you need to sideload it using the Downloader app.
2. Click the Settings icon on your Android TV.
3. From the options, go to Device Preferences → Security & Restrictions.
4. Click Unknown Sources → Turn on the Downloader toggle.
5. Now, open the Downloader app on Android TV from the home screen.
6. Tap Allow to accept the storage permissions.
7. Choose Home from the left pane, and enter the download link of Tor Browser APK in the URL field.
8. Click Go to download the Tor Browser APK on your Android TV.
9. Once the file is downloaded, open it and click Install.
10. Then, click Open to launch the app and watch the content.
Tor Browser: Features & Highlights
- Tor Browser offers you a high level of privacy and security.
- You can easily block trackers and surf the websites without trouble.
- Has multiple encryption layers.
- The browser supports nearly 40+ languages.
- It lets you access websites that can’t be visited on conventional browsers.
- Tor doesn’t reveal the IP address of users.
Tor Browser Alternatives
If the Tor Browser doesn’t suit you or if it is not working fine on your Android TV, you can switch to alternatives that offer better features and browsing experience.
You can try the Kiwi Browser on Android TV as it has better load speed and is built on the Chromium platform. The best part of the Kiwi browser is that it even supports desktop extensions.
Open Browser on Android TV is one of the free browsers you can install as it comes with unique features like Parental Control and Incognito tab. You can get this browser from the Play Store, and it doesn’t require sideloading.
Opera Browser on Android TV offers similar features you find on smartphones. Fortunately, it comes with a built-in ad blocker and VPN which ensures safe browsing. Moreover, you can enable the night mode on Opera during the night to get a better browsing experience.
Supported Android TVs
- Sony Smart TV
- TCL Smart TV
- OnePlus Smart TV
- Sharp Smart TV
- Vu Smart TV
- Philips Smart TV
- Xiaomi Mi Smart TV
- Hisense Smart TV
Supported Android TV Boxes
- Nvidia Shield TV
- Mecool Android TV Box
- MXQ Pro 4K
- Mi Box 4K
Frequently Asked Questions
No. Unfortunately, the Tor Browser is unavailable for Philips Android TV. But you can still sideload the app using the downloader.
You can’t get the Tor Browser on Google TV, as the browser doesn’t have a native application.