Telegram is a cloud-based messenger platform that focuses on privacy and speed. As Telegram suits well for multiple features, many people are looking for ways to install Telegram on Android TV. However, the Telegram app is not supported for Android TVs. Amidst fact, you can sideload Telegram APK on Android TV using the Downloader app. If you don’t like to sideload it, use Telegram through a web browser or screen mirror it using your mobile.
In this article, you learn how to get the Telegram app on Android TV app through sideloading. In addition, you can also find ways to access Telegram through web browsers and casting.
Table of Contents
How to Sideload Telegram APK on Android TV
As we mentioned earlier, the Telegram app is not available for Android TV. So, you need to sideload its APK file with the help of Downloader on Android TV to communicate with others.
1. Turn on your Android TV and head to the Apps section.
2. Locate the Google Play Store and launch it.
3. Click on the Search icon and type Downloader in the required field.
4. Locate the Downloader app developed by AFTVnews and hit the Install button.
5. Wait for a while to download and install the Downloader app on your device.
6. Once the Downloader app is installed successfully, press the home button on your remote.
7. Now, navigate to the Settings icon from the home page.
8. From the options, go to Device Preferences → Security & Restrictions.
9. Click Unknown Sources → Turn on the Downloader toggle.
10. Now, get back to the home screen and launch the Downloader app.
11. Accept the storage and other permissions asked by the app on your TV.
12. Choose Home from the left pane, and enter the Telegram APK URL in the required field.
13. Click Go to download the APK file on your Android TV.
14. Once the file is downloaded, open it and click Install.
15. Then, click Open to launch the Telegram app on your TV.
How to Use Telegram Through Browser
Telegram has a dedicated webpage that lets you use it if you don’t have an app on your device. As the simplest way, you can access the Telegram platform on your TV through its web version. For that, you have to use any of the best web browsers on your Android TV.
1. Open a web browser on your Android TV.
2. Enter the URL [https://web.telegram.org/] in the address bar and go to that website.
3. Now, you have two choices to dive into Telegram on your TV.
◘ On the default webpage, you can find the option to log in to Telegram by QR code. If you choose this way, then follow the below navigation steps,
Launch Telegram on your mobile → Go to Settings → Devices → Link Desktop Device → scan the QR code
◘ If you click the LOG IN BY PHONE NUMBER button, you should select your country and sign in with your mobile number to access Telegram on your TV. In this method, you will receive a code on Telegram and you need to enter that code on the respective field.
4. Now, refresh the webpage and you can get access to your Telegram account on Android TV.
How to Cast Telegram on Android TV
If you can’t find the cast icon on the Telegram app, then you need to use the screen mirroring feature of your Android smartphone to stream the app’s media content to your TV screen.
1. Connect the Android TV to a WiFi network in which your smartphone is connected.
2. Go to the Telegram website or sideload the APK on your Android smartphone.
3. Launch the app and log in with your credentials if needed.
4. Go to the Notification Panel and tap the Cast icon.
5. Choose your Android TV. Now, the video content will appear on your Android TV.
Supported Android TVs and Boxes
|Smart TV Boxes
|Sony Smart TV
TCL Smart TV
OnePlus Smart TV
Panasonic Smart TV
Sharp Smart TV
Vu Smart TV
Philips Smart TV
Xiaomi Mi Smart TV
Hisense Smart TV
|Nvidia Shield TV
MXQ Pro 4K
Mi Box 4K
How to Fix Not Working Issues of Telegram on Android TV
Since we’ve installed the Telegram app on Android TV by getting it from third-party sources, you will face many issues with the app while using it on your TV. In such cases, you need to perform the troubleshooting fixes listed below to resolve those problems.
- Ensure your Android TV is connected to an internet connection with higher bandwidth.
- Reboot your Android TV to resolve the temporary bugs associated with the device and app.
- If there is a new version available for Telegram, uninstall the current one and sideload the latest version.
- Close and relaunch the Telegram application on your device.
- Update your Android TV firmware.
- Clear the app cache files for the Telegram app.
- Reset your Android TV to solve the major problems and then setup your Smart TV to install the app again.
If you feel that Telegram isn’t for you or if you are unsatisfied with the service it provides, you can switch over to some other platform to communicate with others. Here are the best options you can choose as an alternative solution to Telegram.
Frequently Asked Questions
No. There is no official Telegram app for Android TV. However, we can use the sideloading method to get the app on the TV.
The Telegram app is basically free to install and use. You can upgrade to premium for $4.99/month if you want to get advanced features.