Stremio is one of the best open-source streaming applications that lets you play and watch your favorite entertainment content by installing addons. It is an official app and you can download it on Android TV from the Google Play Store. After the installation, you must activate the app on the TV to access it. Apart from installing the app, you have some other ways, such as sideloading and casting to watch Stremio on your TV.
This curated article pens down all necessary information related to Stremio on Android TV.
Table of Contents
How to Install Stremio on Android TV from Play Store
1. Open the Play Store on your Android TV.
2. Click the Search icon and search for the Stremio app.
3. Select the Stremio app on the search results.
4. Tap the Install button to get the Stremio.
5. Click the Open button to launch the Stremio app.
6. Select whatever content you want to stream on your Android TV.
How to Activate Stremio on Android TV
1. When you open the Stremio app on your TV, you will get the Login screen.
2. In Stremio, you will get three modes of login.
- You can scan the QR code on your smartphone and use the Stremio app on your smartphone for the login.
- You can go to the Stremio activation link on your PC or smartphone and enter the activation code.
- If you want to enter the credentials directly, click the Manual Log In button. If you don’t have an account, click the Sign-Up button and create a Stremio account.
How to Sideload Stremio APK on Android TV
If you can’t find Stremio in the Play Store, it must be geo-restricted. Therefore, you need to use the Downloader app to sideload the APK file.
1. Install the Downloader app on your Android TV from the Play Store.
2. Click the Settings icon on your Android TV.
3. From the options, go to Device Preferences → Security & Restrictions.
4. Click Unknown Sources → Turn on the Downloader toggle.
5. Now, open the Downloader app on Android TV from the home screen.
6. Tap Allow to accept the storage permissions.
7. Choose Home from the left pane, and enter the below-mentioned URL/code in the required field.
Download link for the latest version of Stremio APK: bit.ly/3SUGyae
Downloader code for the latest version of the Stremio app: 82452
8. Click Go to download the Stremio APK on your Android TV.
9. Once the file is downloaded, open it and click Install.
10. Install any of the VPNs on your Android TV, like NordVPN or ExpressVPN, and connect to the US server.
11. Then, click Open to launch the app and log in to your account.
12. Watch your favorite movies on your Android TV with the Stremio app.
Note: As you are sideloading the Stremio APK version, some add-ons may not work well on your Android TV.
How to Use Stremio on Android TV
1. Once you activate, you will get the Board section by default. Here, you will get on-demand movies and series from the built-in add-ons.
2. Click the Discover icon to get categories like Discover, Movies, Series, TV channels, and more.
3. Click the Library icon to get video content in different genres. The video titles will be displayed in three sub-categories. Top, By Year, and By Rating.
4. If you want to customize any audio or video settings, click the Settings icon.
5. Tap the Addons icon to install addons from the Stremio store.
6. If you want to search for a specific title, click the Search icon.
7. To close the Stremio app, tap the Back button on the remote two times.
How to Install Addons on Android TV
1. In Stremio, you will get two types of add-ons. Official and Community.
2. In the Official Addons section, you will get add-ons officially developed by the brand itself. You can find add-ons like Netflix, Deezer, YouTube, etc.
3. In the Community Addons section, you will get third-party add-ons. Using the Community add-ons, you can watch movies and TV shows for free.
4. Choose the add-on that you want to install and tap the Install button.
5. The addon will be installed and you will get the Addon Installed notification.
How to Watch Stremio Using Browser
Stremio has a dedicated webpage with an extensive media library of numerous media content. You can access the Stremio website using any of the best browsers on your Android TV.
1. First, launch any web browser on your Android TV.
2. Visit the Stremio website (https://web.stremio.com/).
3. Navigate to the profile avatar at the top-right corner of the screen and click the Log In/Sign Up button.
4. Create a new account or enter your Stremio credentials.
4. Play your favorite content and watch it on your TV.
5. On the browser version, you can’t be able to install add-ons.
How to Cast Stremio on Android TV
If you aren’t interested in sideloading the Stremio APK, you can cast the app from your Android smartphone to the TV. Unfortunately, there is built-in cast support available on this platform, so you need to screen mirror the app using the casting feature of your mobile.
1. Connect Android TV to a WiFi network. On the other hand, connect the Stremio-installed smartphone to the same network.
2. If you don’t have the Stremio app, install it from the Google Play Store.
3. Launch Stremio and complete the sign-in process.
4. Choose any video title from the Stremio app and play it.
5. Now, click on the Cast icon.
6. Choose your Android TV from the list of devices.
7. After that, the video content from the Stremio app will appear on your Android TV.
Stremio on Android TV – Limitations
As the Stremio app is a new entrant to the Android TV ecosystem, you will have certain limitations. Some of the features available in the Stremio smartphone app are unavailable in the Android TV app.
- You can’t get external video player support.
- Lets you forward or rewind 20 seconds. However, you can’t customize it.
- It doesn’t offer the timeline slider option.
- You can customize the subtitles like size, color, offset, and format. But you can’t change the background of the subtitles.
- The addons in the Stremio store are limited and you will have performance issues with some addons.
- You can’t get the smartphone version of the scrolling view. Only the list view with left and right navigation is available.
- The New Episodes tile on the home screen is not available.
- Auto Play only works when you complete the entire episode. There is no button to skip the intro and end credits. And the Auto Play feature can’t be customized.
- The playback won’t change according to your internet speed. You will get buffering issues when streaming high-quality content with low internet speeds.
- The multiple account access and switching profile features are unavailable.
- You can’t uninstall or remove built-in addons.
These are the limitations of the current version of the Stremio app. Let’s hope some of these limitations are resolved in the next update.
How to Fix Stremio Not Working on Android TV
Sometimes, the Stremio application might stop working due to certain reasons, like compatibility, slow internet, and more. You can follow the below troubleshooting methods to fix the issue.
- Check the internet speed – When you are unable to install an addon or can’t stream a video, check the internet speed.
- Restart the Stremio App – Try restarting the Stremio app if the app works slowly.
- Reboot Android TV – If the app freezes or is struck in the middle while streaming, restart your Android TV / Box.
- Uninstall and Reinstall Stremio – Reinstall the Stremio app on your TV, if it crashes.
- Update Stremio – Try updating the Stremio app, if it isn’t compatible with the TV’s firmware.
- Update Android TV – Upgrade your Android TV / Box to the latest firmware if it issue is not fixed yet.
- Reset Android TV – Reset your Android TV to factory settings and try setting up the Stremio app again.
Supported Android TVs and Boxes
|Smart TV Boxes
|Sony Smart TV
Sharp Smart TV
Panasonic Smart TV
TCL Smart TV
JVC Smart TV
Hisense Smart TV
Philips Smart TV
Ematic Android TV Box
If you are unsatisfied with the features on Stremio, you can switch to alternatives like Plex, Kodi, and Jellyfin which are packed with multiple features and offer a better streaming experience.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, Stremio had been temporarily removed from the Play Store in July 2017. After a few months, the app was returned to the Play Store.
Stremio is an open-source platform and it is completely legal to use. All the add-ons available on this app are legal to add.