Stremio is a free streaming app that offers a ton of addons and extensions to watch the latest movies, series, and TV shows. Stremio doesn’t have any original content. Similar to Kodi on Android TV, you have to install streaming addons on Stremio to get the video content.
One of the unique features of Stremio is that it is a cloud-based streaming service. When you install an addon to your PC’s Stremio app, it will also be available on your Android TV app. The advantage of this feature is that when you install an addon on one device, you can use it on all other devices with the same account. As it is cloud-based, you can stream video content of any size without worrying about the internal storage of your TV.
How to Install Stremio on Android TV
The Stremio app was not available for Android TVs and Android TV Boxes. On August 2022, the app was released for Android TV in the Google Play Store. If you want, you can check the official Stremio blog here.
1. Open the Play Store on your Android TV.
2. Click the Search icon and search for the Stremio app.
3. Select the Stremio app on the search results.
4. Tap the Install button to get the Stremio.
5. Click the Open button to launch the Stremio app on your Android TV.
You can also install the Stremio app from the official website. Open a web browser on your Android TV and go to the Stremio Downloads page. Scroll down to the Stremio Android TV section and download the APK file. Using any third-party installers, install the Stremio app.
How to Use Stremio on Android TV
1. When you open the Stremio app on your TV, you will get the Log In screen.
2. In Stremio, you will get three modes of login.
- You can scan the QR code on your smartphone and use the Stremio app on your smartphone for the login.
- You can go to the Stremio activation link on your PC or smartphone and enter the activation code.
- If you want to enter the credentials directly, click the Manual Log In button. If you don’t have an account, click the Sign Up button and create a Stremio account.
3. Now, you will get the Board section by default. Here, you will get on-demand movies and series from the built-in addons.
4. Click the Discover icon to get categories like Discover, Movies, Series, TV channels, and more.
5. Click the Library icon to get video content in different genres. The video titles will be displayed in three sub-categories. Top, By Year, and By Rating.
6. If you want to customize any audio or video settings, click the Settings icon.
7. Tap the Addons icon to install addons from the Stremio store.
8. If you want to search for a specific title, click the Search icon.
9. To close the Stremio app, tap the Back button on the remote two times.
How to Install Addons on Android TV
1. In Stremio, you will get two types of addons. Official and Community.
2. In the Official addons section, you will get addons officially developed by the brand itself. You can find addons like Netflix, Deezer, YouTube, etc.
3. In the Community addons section, you will get third-party addons. Using the Community addons, you can watch movies and TV shows for free.
4. Choose the addon that you want to install and tap the Install button.
5. The addon will be installed and you will get the Addon Installed notification.
How to Watch Stremio on Android TV Using a Web Browser
1. First, launch any web browser on your Android TV.
2. Visit the Stremio website (https://www.stremio.com/).
3. Click the Sign In button and enter your Stremio credentials.
4. Play your favorite content and watch them on your TV.
5. On the webpage, you can’t install addons.
How to Sideload Stremio on Android TV
1. Turn on your Android TV and launch the Google Play Store.
2. Click on the Search icon in the Play Store.
3. Search for Downloader by AFTV news in the search bar.
4. Select the Downloader app icon.
5. Click on the Install button to download the Downloader app on Android TV.
6. Open the Settings app from the Android TV home screen and choose the Device Preferences option.
8. Next, click on the Security & Restrictions feature.
9. Select the Unknown Sources option and turn on the Downloader toggle.
10. Then, launch the Downloader app on your Android TV.
11. Follow the on-screen prompts and then click on the Allow option.
12. Download the AFTVnews Plugin using the URL (browser.aftvnews.com)
13. Then, enter the Stremio Android TV APK URL (bit.ly/3D4bs7T) and click the Go button.
14. Download the APK file and tap the Install button.
15. Launch the Stremio app and log in with your account.
16. Watch your favorite movies on your Android TV with the Stremio app.
Note: As you are sideloading the Stremio apk version, some addons may not work well on your Android TV.
How to Cast Stremio on Android TV
1. Connect your smartphone and Android TV to the same WiFi network.
2. If you don’t have the Stremio app, install it from the Google Play Store.
3. Launch Stremio and complete the signin process.
4. Choose any video title from the Stremio app and play it.
5. Now, click on the Cast icon.
6. Choose your Android TV from the list of devices.
7. After that, the video content from the Stremio app will appear on your Android TV.
Stremio on Android TV LImitations
As the Stremio app is a new entrant to the Android TV ecosystem, you will have certain limitations. Some of the features available in the Stremio smartphone app are not available in the Android TV app.
- You can’t get external video player support.
- You can forward or rewind 20 seconds. You can’t customize it and the timeline slider option is not available.
- You can customize the subtitles like size, color, offset, and format. But you can’t change the background of the subtitles.
- The addons in the Stremio store are limited and you will have performance issues with some addons.
- You can’t get the smartphone version of the scrolling view. Only the list view with left and right navigation is available.
- The New Episodes tile on the home screen is not available.
- Auto Play only works when you complete the entire episode. There is no button to skip the intro and end credits. And the Auto Play feature can’t be customized.
- The playback won’t change according to your internet speed. You will get buffering issues when streaming high-quality content with low internet speeds.
- The multiple account access and switching profile feature are not available.
- You can’t uninstall or remove built-in addons.
These are the limitations of the current version of the Stremio app. Let’s hope some of these limitations are resolved in the next update.
Supported Android TV
- Sony Smart TV
- Sharp Smart TV
- Panasonic Smart TV
- TCL Smart TV
- JVC Smart TV
- Hisense Smart TV
- Philips Smart TV
Supported Android TV Boxes
- DIRECT STREAMS
- Mi Box
- Ematic Android TV Box
Other Supported Devices
- Windows PC
- Stean Deck
- iOS devices
Plex is mainly used to manage personal content. If you want a personal media server with advanced features, you can opt for Plex on your Android TV. You can use Plex for free. But to stream on-demand and live TV content, you must buy the Plex Pass worth $4.99 per month, $39.99 per year, or $119.99 for a lifetime.
Jellyfin is the only free media server app available for Android TV. You can access all the Jellyfin features for free. Similar to Plex, Jellyfin on Android TV is most suited for personal content. There are addons available in Jellyfin where you can install them based on your preferences. When compared to Plex, the addons are very limited in Jellyfin.
Kodi is the best media server app for Android TV. Using Kodi on Android TV, you can install any addons and stream video content. As Kodi supports cross-platform support, you can use the app on any device with ease. If you are an IPTV user, you can use Kodi addons to stream IPTV content.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, Stremio was removed from the Play Store on July 2017. After a few months, the app is added to the Play Store.
Stremio is an open-source platform and it is completely legal to use. All the addons available on this app are legal to add.