Steam Link is a platform where you can play games on your Android TV from the Steam library. The official app for Steam Link is available on the Google Play Store and it is free to download on your Android TV. However, it requires a TV running on Android tvOS version 5.0 or above to install it. If you don’t want to go for a direct installation, you can install Steam Link through the sideloading method.
After installing, you need to sign in with a Steam account to play games using the Steam Link. To create a new account, visit the official webpage of Steam Link from a browser. After that, start playing existing Steam games on your TV. Remember, you have to connect your Android TV to the router via router for the best gaming experience.
You will get the advantage of playing desktop games using this application. To get started, you have to pair a Bluetooth controller or Steam Controller to your Android TV and then connect it to a PC that is running Steam. Ensure that both devices are connected to the same local network.
In this guide, we are going to explore the installation and setup procedures to play games using Steam Link on Android TV.
Table of Contents
Steam Link app is free to download and use on Android TV. But if you wish to buy a Steam set-top box along with a controller, it will cost you $49.99. Some paid games are also available on the Steam store itself, which will be automatically synced and added to your existing account on each purchase.
How to Install Steam Link on Android TV
1. Turn on your Android TV and go to the Apps section on your Android TV.
2. Open the Google Play Store and click the Search icon.
3. Enter Steam Link in the search bar and locate the app.
4. Select Steam Link from the suggested results.
5. Click Install to get the app on your Android TV.
6. Once the app is installed, click Open to launch the Steam Link app.
7. A welcome message will appear on the screen. Click on Get Started.
8. You have to pair a steam controller or Bluetooth controller on the next screen.
Note: Click Skip if you have already connected to your TV.
9. Steam Link will search for nearby computers that run the desktop client. If your Android TV and PC are connected to the same Wi-Fi network, it will be listed here. If you didn’t see anything on the list, choose Other Computer.
10. You will get a PIN to pair up with the Steam desktop client.
How to Set Up Steam Link on Android TV
You have to enable the Steam Remote Play option on your PC to play Steam games on your TV. It is very useful when you want to play multiplayer games with your friends.
1. Launch Steam Desktop Client on your PC.
2. Tap on the Steam drop-down menu and click Settings.
3. Pick Remote Play on the sidebar and select the box stating Enable Remote Play.
4. After that, click on Pair Steam Link and enter the PIN received earlier.
5. The Steam link is now connected to your PC and Android TV. You can also see the status of your connected device.
Finally, it will test your internet speed for smooth gameplay. After that, you can see the Steam Link library.
Play Steam Games on Android TV
1. The Steam Link library will appear on the TV screen after testing your internet speed.
2. Click on a game that you want to play. For demonstration purposes, we choose Vanquish.
3. Now you will see the game info page. Click on the Play option.
4. After a few seconds, it will launch the game you’ve chosen.
Start playing your favorite Steam games on your Android TV similarly. But make sure the games are already installed on your PC.
Alternate Way to Get Stream Link on Android TV
You can also sideload the Steam Link apk with the help of the Downloader app on Android TV. But, it is not recommendable due to the fact that the sideloaded version may not work perfectly all the time.
1. Turn on your Android TV and head to the Apps section.
2. Locate the Google Play Store and launch it.
3. Click on the Search icon and type Downloader in the required field.
4. Locate the Downloader app developed by AFTVnews and hit the Install button.
5. Wait a while to download and install the Downloader app on your device.
6. Once the Downloader app is installed successfully, press the home button on your remote.
7. Now, navigate to the Settings icon from the home page.
8. From the options, go to Device Preferences → Security & Restrictions.
9. Click Unknown Sources → Turn on the Downloader toggle.
10. Now, get back to the home screen and launch the Downloader app.
11. Accept the storage and other permissions the app asks on your TV.
12. Choose Home from the left pane, and type the below-mentioned URL in the required field.
Download link for the latest version of Stream Link APK: bit.ly/3R2YAW5
13. Click Go to download the APK file on your Android TV.
14. Once the file is downloaded, open it and click Install.
15. Then, click Open to launch the app and finish the setup procedures as we discussed before to start playing on your TV.
Steam Link Supported Android TVs and TV Boxes
|Smart TV Boxes
|Sony Smart TV
TCL Smart TV
Skyworth Smart TV
Philips Smart TV
Mi Smart TV
Hisense Smart TV
Panasonic Smart TV
|Nvidia Shield TV
MXQ Pro 4K
Xiaomi Mi Box S
Steam Link Supported Controllers
The following are the gaming input devices that are compatible with playing Steam games.
- The Steam Controller
- Sony DualShock 4 (on Android 9.0 and higher)
- Microsoft Xbox One S Controller
- Razer Kishi and Raiju Mobile
How to Fix Not Working Issues of Stream Link on Android TV
If the Stream Link app is not working properly on your Android TV due to issues like a black screen, app freezing, and more, then you need to perform the troubleshooting fixes listed below to resolve those problems.
- Ensure your Android TV is connected to an internet connection with higher bandwidth.
- Reboot your Android TV to resolve the temporary bugs associated with the device and app.
- Close and relaunch the Stream Link application on your device.
- Update your Android TV firmware and the app to the latest version.
- Clear the app cache files for the Funimation app.
- Reset your Android TV to solve the major problems for both the device and the app.
Steam Link Alternatives
If you feel that Stream Link isn’t for you or if you are unsatisfied with the service it provides, you can switch over to some other platform to play games. Here are the best options you can choose as an alternative solution to Funimation.
- Moonlight Stream
- Parsec Gaming
- PS Remote Play
Yes, Steam Link is officially available for Android TV and you can get it from the Google Play Store.
Yes. Steam Link offers an offline mode that lets you play games without relying on an active internet connection.