If you are bored of using Google Duo on your Android TV, you can switch to Skype for its numerous features. Skype is compatible with smartphones, desktops, and gaming consoles. Earlier, Skype had its own Android TV app called Skype on TV. But, the app was removed for various reasons and is no longer available now. However, you can install Skype on your Smart TV by sideloading the APK file. On the other hand, you can access Skype on the TV browser or by casting the app from your smartphone.
Certain Smart TVs like TCL Android TV come with a built-in camera on the panel. But you can still attach and use an external camera to your TV for better viewing quality. In addition to that, we suggest you connect a USB microphone to your TV as audio and voice support for video calls.
Table of Contents
How to Sideload Skype APK on Android TV
The Skype APK is yet to be available for Android TV. To use Skype, you need to sideload it using the Downloader app.
1. Install the Downloader app on your Android TV from the Play Store.
2. Click the Settings icon on your Android TV.
3. From the options, go to Device Preferences.
4. Click Security & Restrictions → Unknown Sources → Turn on the Downloader toggle.
5. Now, open the Downloader app on Android TV from the home screen.
6. Tap Allow to accept the storage permissions.
7. Choose Home from the left pane, and enter the download link of Skype APK in the URL field.
8. Click Go to download the Skype APK on your Android TV.
9. Once the file is downloaded, open it and click Install.
How to Use Skype on Android TV
1. After installing, select Open to launch Skype on your Smart TV.
2. Select Log In and enter the credentials using the virtual on-screen keyboard.
3. When you sign in, you will get a permission pop-up to access contacts.
4. Select Allow and proceed with the next step.
5. Further, you will be asked to permit Web Cam and Microphone. Select Allow.
6. Finally, you will get the Skype home screen.
7. As it is a sideloaded application, you will get a mobile interface on your TV.
8. Navigate to the Chat or Calls section and continue the conversations.
How to Watch Skype Using Browser
In the Play Store, there are quite a number of web browsers available for Android TV. You can use any of those web browsers on your Android TV to access Skype.
1. Open a web browser on your Android TV.
2. Enter the URL – https://www.skype.com/ in the address bar and visit the website.
3. The home screen of Skype will appear on the TV screen.
4. Click the Sign In button and enter your credentials.
5. Start making calls and chat via your Android TV.
How to Cast Skype on Android TV
If you don’t want to sideload the app, you can screen mirror Skype from your Android smartphone.
1. Connect your smartphone and Android TV to the same WiFi network.
2. Install the Skype app from the Play Store on your smartphone.
3. Launch the app and log in to your Skype account.
4. Make a call to your friend or family.
5. Go to the Notification Panel and tap the Cast icon.
6. Choose your Android TV. Now, the Skype app will appear on your TV screen.
Supported Android TVs
- Sony Smart TV
- TCL Smart TV
- OnePlus Smart TV
- Sharp Smart TV
- Vu Smart TV
- Philips Smart TV
- Xiaomi Mi Smart TV
- Hisense Smart TV
Supported Android TV Boxes
- AT&T TV
- Mi Box and Mi Box S
- MXQ Pro 4K
- Mi Box 4K
- Nvidia Shield TV
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can use a webcam on your Android TV to access the Skype app.
No. Skype is unavailable on Google TV. You can access Skype on your TV by sideloading the APK file or casting the app.
Unfortunately, you can’t install Skype on Roku, as it doesn’t have a standalone app for Roku TV and streaming devices.