You can do a lot of things on your Android TV. But browsing is always limited on Android TVs and TV Boxes. In the Play Store, there are only 5-10 browsers are available for Android TV. With those browsers, you won’t get a fruitful browsing experience. If you want a browser with a good UI, you can opt for Silk Browser on your Android TV.
Amazon Silk Browser isn’t natively available on Android TV’s Play Store. You need to sideload the browser on your Android TV using the Downloader.
How to Sideload Silk Browser on Android TV
1. Turn on your Android TV and launch Google Play Store from the Apps section.
2. Click the Search icon and type Downloader.
3. Select the Downloader app from the app suggestions.
4. Click on the Install button to get the Downloader app on Android TV.
5. Now, open the Settings menu on your Android TV.
6. Tap the Device Preferences feature.
7. Next, click on the Security & Restrictions option.
8. Click on the Unknown Sources option.
9. Select the Downloader app and turn on the Unknown Sources toggle.
10. Launch the Downloader app on your Android TV.
11. Click on the Allow option when prompted.
12. Download the AFTVnews Plugin using the URL (browser.aftvnews.com)
13. Type in the Amazon Silk Android TV APK URL in the search bar.
14. Click on the Go option and then download the APK file for the Amazon Silk browser.
15. Tap the Install button to install the Silk browser on your Android TV.
16. Launch the Amazon Silk browser and surf the internet.
Silk browser is the pre-installed browser for Fire TV streaming devices. As the browser is developed for big-screen devices, using the browser on Android TV will give you the best browsing experience when compared to other browsers.
Supported Android TV
- Sony Smart TV
- Sharp Smart TV
- TCL Smart TV
- Panasonic Smart TV
- Hisense Smart TV
- Philips Smart TV
- JVC Smart TV
- Skyworth Smart TV
Supported Android TV Box
- AT&T TV
- Mi Box and Mi Box S
- H96 Andriod TV Box
Silk Browser Features
Though the Silk Browser is not officially available for Android TVs, it does have some cool features in it.
- With the Silk Browser on your Android TV, you can watch videos from any website with ease. Silk Browser is the best to watch embedded videos.
- You can listen to audio content on music streaming websites like TIDAL and Spotify on your Android TV with the built-in audio playback controls.
- If you have configured Alexa on your Android TV, you can use the Alexa voice commands to control the Silk browser.
- You can easily switch between the desktop and mobile versions of websites based on your preferences.
- For night-owl people, the Slik browser is equipped with Dark Mode.
By default, Bing is the search engine for Silk Browser. But you can change it in the browser settings.
Swipe from the left and choose History to see your search history.
As of today (22nd Nov 2022), the latest version of the Silk browser is version 126.96.36.19949.170.30. The size of the browser is 67 MB.