The Roku Channel or Roku App is the official application offered by Roku to control your Roku device and stream movies, live TV, etc. Recently The Roku Channel app has changed its name to The Roku App for Android devices. You can access the application completely for free by signing in with your Roku account. Since it is a geo-restricted application, you can download the app officially only from certain countries like the US, UK, and Canada. Apart from Roku users, everyone can access this platform to stream movies and TV shows for free using its mobile app. Since it is a free app, you may get ads while streaming the content. With the Roku Channel app unavailable on Play Store, you need to sideload its application on your Android TV to stream its content flawlessly.
Table of Contents
How to Sideload The Roku Channel on Android TV
As mentioned, The Roku Channel app has changed its name to The Roku App for Android devices. If you can’t find The Roku app in the Play Store, it must be geo-restricted. Therefore, you need to use the Downloader app to sideload the APK file.
1. Install the Downloader app on your Android TV from the Play Store.
2. Click the Settings icon on your Android TV.
3. From the options, go to Device Preferences → Security & Restrictions.
4. Click Unknown Sources → Turn on the Downloader toggle.
5. Now, open the Downloader app on Android TV from the home screen.
6. Tap Allow to accept the storage permissions.
7. Choose Home from the left pane, and enter the download link of The Roku App APK in the URL field.
8. Click Go to download The Roku App APK on your Android TV.
9. Once the file is downloaded, open it and click Install.
10. Install any of the VPNs on your Android TV, like NordVPN or ExpressVPN, and connect to the US server.
11. Then, click Open to launch the app and watch the content.
How to Watch Roku Channel Using Browser
In the Play Store, there are quite a number of web browsers available for Android TV. You can use any of those web browsers on your Android TV to access The Roku Channel website.
1. Open a web browser on your Android TV.
2. Enter the URL [https://therokuchannel.roku.com] in the address bar and go to that website.
3. The home screen of The Roku Channel will appear on the TV screen.
4. Click the Profile avatar and tap the Sign In button.
5. Login with your Roku credentials and access your favorite content on your Android TV.
How to Screen Mirror The Roku Channel on Android TV
If you don’t want to access the website, you can screen mirror The Roku Channel from your smartphone.
1. Connect your smartphone and Android TV to the same WiFi network.
2. Install The Roku App on your Android device using the Google Play Store.
3. Launch the app and log in with your Roku account credentials.
4. Play the video content on The Roku Channel app.
5. Go to the Notification Panel and tap the Cast icon.
6. Choose your Android TV. Now, the video content will appear on your Android TV.
Key Features of Roku Channel
- Watch the popular collection of movies and TV shows on Roku for free with the Roku Channel app.
- The Roku channel is compatible with devices like Roku, Android, iOS, and web browsers.
- You can link your other subscriptions like Showtime, Starz, Epix, and other channels with the Roku channel app.
- It offers a Private listening feature to let you watch your favorite movies with earphones.
- Cast Media Files such as photos and videos directly from your phone easily to TV via The Roku App.
Supported Android TVs
- Sony Smart TV
- TCL Smart TV
- OnePlus Smart TV
- Sharp Smart TV
- Vu Smart TV
- Philips Smart TV
- Xiaomi Mi Smart TV
- Hisense Smart TV
Supported Android TV Boxes
- Nvidia Shield TV
- Airtel Xstream
- MXQ Pro 4K
- Mi Box 4K
No, the Roku Channel app is not available on Sony Android TV for streaming.
No, the application is currently unavailable on Google TV.