The Roku Channel app, developed by Roku, is one of the best free streaming apps for Android TV. The Roku Channel app offers video content from categories like movies, news, kids’ shows, family shows, entertainment, and live sports. If you want more live TV channels, you can buy a separate subscription to SHOWTIME, STARZ, EPIX, and other 35+ channels and link them to The Roku Channel app.
With The Roku Channel on Android TV, you can get to watch Roku Originals like Chrissy’s Court, Mind/Trip, Wet Dreams, and more for free. If you think, The Roku Channel is only for Roku TV and streaming device users, you are wrong. You can install The Roku Channel on Android devices like smartphones, tablets, TVs, and TV Boxes.
The Roku Channel on Android TV
As of today, The Roku Channel is not available for Android TVs. So, you have to follow other workarounds to get The Roku Channel app.
How to Watch Roku Channel on Android TV Using Browser
The Roku Channel has a web version that you can access on a browser on any of your devices. The same is the case with your Android TV.
1. Launch any web browser on your Android TV. For a better interface, we recommend you to use Google Chrome on Android TV.
2. Next, visit the Roku Channel website (https://therokuchannel.roku.com/) on the browser.
3. Sign in with your Roku account if you want.
4. Now, play any content on the website and stream them on your TV.
The Roku Channel is available only in the USA, UK, and Canada. If you try to access The Roku Channel in other countries, you will get the “The Roku Channel currently isn’t available in your region” screen. To bypass the geo-restriction, you have to use VPNs on your Android TV. Install any of the VPNs on your Android TV and set the location to USA, UK, or Canada, and stream all the Roku originals content for free.
How to Sideload The Roku Channel on Android TV
To sideload an app on your Android TV, you need to get the Downloader app and change your TV’s settings. To do so,
1. Turn on your Android TV and open the Google Play Store.
2. From the Play Store, select the Search icon to search for the app.
3. Type and search for Downloader by AFTV news.
4. From the app results, pick the Downloader app icon.
6. To start downloading the app, click on the Install button.
7. In the same way, install the Sideload Launcher on Android TV to access APK files on your Android TV.
8. Launch the Settings of your Android TV from the home screen.
9. Choose Device Preferences and tap the Security & Restrictions option.
10. Select the Unknown Sources feature.
11. Scroll down to the Downloader app and enable the toggle.
12. Now, open the Downloader app on your Android TV.
13. When it prompts, click on the Allow option.
14. Download the AFTVnews Plugin using the URL (browser.aftvnews.com). Without the AFTVnews plugin, you can install the APK files on Downloader.
15. Then, enter The Roku Channel Android TV APK URL and click the Go button.
16. Download The Roku Channel APK file.
17. Tap the Install button to install the app on your Android TV Box.
18. Launch The Roku Channel app and stream all the video content for free.
How to Cast The Roku Channel to Android TV
If you feel that sideloading the Roku Channel is a heavy process, you can cast it. Earlier, The Roku Channel app is available for both Android and iOS devices. But, recently, the app is removed from both the Play Store and App Store. So, to cast the Roku content to Android TV, you have to use the Roku – Official Remote Control app.
1. Connect your smartphone to the same WiFi network as your Android TV.
2. On your smartphone, install the Roku – Official Remote Control app from Play Store or App Store.
3. Launch the Roku app and sign in to your account.
4. Go to the Roku Channel section. You will get the list of video titles.
5. From the library, choose any video you want to watch on your TV and start playing it.
6. Tap the Cast icon on the Roku app.
7. Select your Android TV from the list of nearby devices.
8. Now, the video from the Roku app will appear on your Android TV.
Other Supported Devices
- Android Smartphones & Tablets
- Amazon Fire TV
These are the different ways to get The Roku Channel on Android TV. You can choose a method based on your preferences and watch Roku video content on your Android TV. If you have any difficulties with The Roku Channel app or the Roku – Official Remote app, let us know in the comments below.