RetroArch is an open-source project with a built-in group of entertainment apps. It employs a powerful interface called Librertro that helps you develop cross-platform apps. For the same, you can use features like Open GL, Location Support, and Camera support. Therefore, Libretro makes RetroArch the perfect solution for creating games, emulators, and multimedia programs. By using RetroArch, you can play some of the nostalgia games like Super Mario, Pac-Man, Contra, and more. You can install the RetroArch on any Android-based device like a smartphone or Android TV.
RetroArch has a lot of attractive features. The app lets you scan files or directories on your device and add them to your collection. Also, you can download programs from the web and update them. Furthermore, it has built-in input remapping, remaps controls, and multi-language support.
RetroArch on Android TV
You might not be able to find a RetroArch app in the Google Play Store of your TV. But, you can sideload the Android version of Retroarch on your Android TV.
Supported Android TVs
- Sony Smart TV
- Sharp Smart TV
- TCL Smart TV
- Panasonic Smart T
- Hisense Smart TV
- JVC Smart TV
- Philips Smart TV
Supported Android TV Boxes
- AT&T TV
- DIRECTV STREAM
- Mi Box and Mi Box S
How to Install RetroArch on Android TV
1. On your Android TV, open the Google Play Store.
2. Go to the search bar. Enter RetroArch and search for it.
3. Select the RetroArch app and tap the Install button.
4. Wait for the installation to complete.
5. Tap the Open button to launch the RetroArch app on your Android TV.
Alternate Way to Add RetroArch on Android TV / Android TV Box
Android TV is no more just a TV with the RetroArch app. It becomes a retro console and you can access retro games on your TV. The process of sideloading RetroArch involves three steps.
- Installing Downloader on Android TV
- Enable Unknown Sources
- Download RetroArch using Downloader
Installing Downloader on Android TV
1. Firstly, turn on your Android TV and then launch the Google Play Store.
2. Click on the Search icon in the Play Store.
3. Type and search for Downloader by AFTV news in the search bar.
4. Choose the Downloader app icon from the app suggestions on your screen.
5. Click on the Install button to start downloading the Downloader app.
6. Then, go to the Play Store again and install the Sideload Launcher on your TV.
7. The sideloaded apps won’t appear on the Android TV menu. For that, you need to install the Sideload Launcher on your Android TV.
Enable Unknown Sources
1. Open the Settings app from the Android TV home screen.
2. Select the Security & Restrictions option.
3. Further, select the Unknown Sources option.
4. Finally, click on the Downloader app and turn on the toggle.
Sideloading the RetroArch Apk with Downloader
1. First, launch the Downloader app on your Android TV.
2. Click on the Allow option.
3. Enter the AFTVnews Plugin URL and install it. Without the plugin, you can’t install apk files.
3. Type the RetroArch for Android TV APK URL in the Downloader app.
4. Click on the Go option and download the APK file for the RetroArch app.
5. Install the RetroArch app by tapping the Install button.
7. Launch RetroArch on your TV and use it with ease.
How to Use RetroArch on Android TV
Update Assets on RetroArch
1. When you open the RetroArch app on your Android TV, you will get the below screen. You may get a pixilated screen or a warning screen.
2. Now, you need to install extra files to remove the pixilated screen and to get the full features. Go to Settings and choose Online Updater.
3. Choose the Update Assets option.
4. The download progress will appear on the bottom left of the screen.
5. Wait until the download is completed.
Download Game ROM Files
Game ROM files are nothing but the game source file. You can get the Game ROM file on the official website.
1. Download the ROM file from the game platform.
2. Copy the ROM file to a USB drive and insert the drive into your TV.
3. Paste all the ROM files into a separate folder (e.g., ROM folder) of your local Android TV’s storage.
The core is the platform where you are going to emulate a separate platform to play the games.
1. Open the RetroArch app on your TV.
2. Select the Load Core option.
3. On the next screen, choose the Download a Core option.
4. Download all the necessary cores for the game.
1. On the RetroArch menu, click the Load Content option.
2. Choose the ROM folder that you have created before.
3. Select the ZIP file that corresponds to the game.
4. Choose the Browse Archive option to extract it.
Run ROMS to Play RetroArch Games on Android TV
1. Once the ROMS are extracted, go to the extreme right menu to get the ROM file.
2. Then, tap the Run button to play the game.
3. Now, you can play the game on your Android TV.
Other Supported Devices
There are other devices that support installing the RetroArch app officially.
- Windows PC
- Android devices
- iOS devices
- Nintendo Switch
- Apple TV
Frequently Asked Questions
Since you’re installing the app from an unknown source, you may face issues here and there. So make sure to sideload the app from the trusted third-party sites.
Try the following solutions to fix the issues associated with RetroArch on Android TV Box.
1. Clear the cache data of the RetroArch app.
2. Force close the RetroArch app and then use it after a few minutes.
3. Restart your Android TV and check whether the app is working.
4. Uninstall the RetroArch app and sideload the latest version of the RetroArch apk on Android TV.