RetroArch is a cumulative emulator and media player used by several professionals and gamers. You can use this Open Source tool to create and play classic and retro games on your PC. Apart from PC, you can also install the RetroArch on your Android TV to play the games on your TV screen. RetroArch is available in the Google Play Store for free installation on your Android TV.
RetroArch has a fully flexible graphical interface for playing all kinds of games, starting from Super Mario, Contra, and hi-tech games. It has a NetPlay option to connect with friends for Multiplayer games. You can record the GamePlay on your TV through this app for YouTube videos. The gaming configuration syncs with the common controllers for playing games without any hassle on your Android TV.
We have curated the easiest way to get RetroArch on your Android TV for playing classic games. Not to stop with installation, we have also included the setup procedure before proceeding further on RetroArch.
How to Install RetroArch on Android TV from Play Store
1. Go to the home screen on your Android TV and click on Apps.
2. Open the Google Play Store and click the Search icon.
3. Enter RetroArch in the search bar and locate the app.
4. Select RetroArch from the suggested result.
5. Click Install to get the app on your Android TV.
6. Once the app is installed, click Open to launch the app.
How to Sideload RetroArch on Android TV
The RetroArch app is not available for Android TV. So, to stream its content, you need to sideload it using the Downloader app.
1. Install the Downloader app on your Android TV from the Play Store.
2. Click the Settings icon on your Android TV.
3. From the options, go to Device Preferences → Security & Restrictions.
4. Click Unknown Sources → Turn on the Downloader toggle.
5. Now, open the Downloader app on Android TV from the home screen.
6. Tap Allow to accept the storage permissions.
7. Choose Home from the left pane, and enter the download link of RetroArch APK [https://bit.ly/3L3Zdvu] in the URL field.
8. Click Go to download the APK file on your Android TV.
9. Once the file is downloaded, open it and click Install the app
10. Then, click Open to launch the app on your Android TV.
How to Use RetroArch on Android TV
Before beginning to use RetroArch, you have to follow the below setups.
Update Assets on RetroArch
1. When you open the RetroArch app on your Android TV, you will get the below screen. You may get a pixilated screen or a warning screen.
2. Now, you need to install extra files to remove the pixilated screen and to get the full features. Go to Settings and choose Online Updater.
3. Choose the Update Assets option.
4. The download progress will appear on the bottom left of the screen.
5. Wait until the download is completed.
Download Game ROM Files
Game ROM files are nothing but the game source file. You can get the Game ROM file on the official website.
1. Download the ROM file from the game platform.
2. Copy the ROM file to a USB drive and insert the drive into your TV.
3. Paste all the ROM files into a separate folder (e.g., ROM folder) of your local Android TV’s storage.
The core is the platform where you are going to emulate a separate platform to play the games.
1. Open the RetroArch app on your TV.
2. Select the Load Core option.
3. On the next screen, choose the Download a Core option.
4. Download all the necessary cores for the game.
1. On the RetroArch menu, click the Load Content option.
2. Choose the ROM folder that you have created before.
3. Select the ZIP file that corresponds to the game.
4. Choose the Browse Archive option to extract it.
Run ROMS to Play RetroArch Games on Android TV
1. Once the ROMS are extracted, go to the extreme right menu to get the ROM file.
2. Then, tap the Run button to play the game.
3. Now, you can play the game on your Android TV.
Supported Android TVs
- Sony Smart TV
- TCL Smart TV
- OnePlus Smart TV
- Sharp Smart TV
- Vu Smart TV
- Philips Smart TV
- Xiaomi Mi Smart TV
- Hisense Smart TV
Supported Android TV Boxes
- Nvidia Shield TV
- Airtel Xstream
- MXQ Pro 4K
- Mi Box 4K
Other Supported Devices
There are other devices that support installing the RetroArch app officially.
- Windows PC
- Android devices
- iOS devices
- Nintendo Switch
- Apple TV
Since you’re installing the app from an unknown source, you may face issues here and there. So make sure to sideload the app from trusted third-party sites.
Try the following solutions to fix the issues associated with RetroArch on Android TV Box.
1. Clear the cache data of the RetroArch app.
2. Force close the RetroArch app and then use it after a few minutes.
3. Restart your Android TV and check whether the app is working.
4. Uninstall the RetroArch app and sideload the latest version of the RetroArch apk on Android TV.