Amazon Prime Video is the best streaming platform for Amazon e-commerce users. If you have an Amazon Prime account, you can get Prime Video at a much more affordable price. In Amazon Prime Video, you will get more than 25000 movies and series. Being one of the Netflix competitors, Amazon Prime Video has its own dedicated app for Android TV and other smart TV.
Amazon Prime supports streaming videos in HD and 4K qualities so that you can enjoy your favorite shows at their best. The best feature of Amazon Prime Video is that you get to watch the first episode of popular series like The Man in the High Castle, Red Oaks, Transparent, and more for free. With this, you will get a glimpse of the series for free.
There are multiple ways to access Amazon Prime Video.
- Amazon Prime – It costs $14.99 per month or a total of $139 per year. You can get a total of three simultaneous streams with the plan. It gives you access to special features like access to Amazon Music on Android TV, Amazon’s Kindle, Twitch Prime, and Prime shipping on Amazon.
- Amazon Video Standalone – The Standalone plan charges you $8.99 per month. Also, it supports three simultaneous streams.
- Amazon Prime Student – The Student plan can cost you $7.49 a month or $69 per year. It supports three simultaneous streams with access to Prime shipping. Additionally, get Amazon Music, Amazon’s Kindle, and Twitch Prime access.
- Amazon Prime (EBT/ Medicaid) – This plan charges you $6.99 per month and gives you three simultaneously. It also lets you access Prime shipping, Amazon Music, Amazon’s Kindle, and Twitch Prime.
- Buy or Rent – In this model, you can buy or rent movies and TV shows without committing to a monthly or yearly subscription.
Get any one of these subscriptions from the Amazon website.
Prime Video on Android TV
There are four different ways to stream Amazon Prime Video content on Android TV. Let’s see more about supported models and how to install the app.
Supported Android TVs
- Sony Smart TV
- TCL Smart TV
- Sharp Smart TV
- Philips Smart TV
- Hisense Smart TV
- JVC Smart TV
Supported Android TV Boxes
- Nvidia Shield
- AT&T TV
- Mi Box
- Ematic Android TV Box
How to Install Amazon Prime Video on Android TV / Android TV Box
Amazon Prime Video is a pre-installed app on most Android TVs. If you have uninstalled it by mistake or if the app is not pre-installed on your TV, you can install it with ease.
1. Connect your Android TV to a WiFi connection.
2. Go to the Apps tab and launch the Google Play Store.
3. Navigate to the Search icon and type Amazon Prime Video.
4. Search for the app and choose the Prime Video app.
5. The Prime Video information page, along with the installation option, will appear on the screen.
6. Click on the Install button, and Prime Video will install on your TV.
7. Launch the Prime Video app on your TV.
How to Activate Amazon Prime Video on Android TV
1. When you open the Prime Video app on your Android TV, you will get an activation code.
2. Launch a web browser on mobile or PC and then visit primevideo.com/mytv.
3. Sign in to your Amazon account if asked.
4. Then, enter the Activation Code in the space provided.
5. Click the Register DEvice button to activate the Prime Video app.
6. Now, the Prime Video app will refresh automatically and will display all the video content.
7. Stream your favorite movies and TV shows on the Prime Video app.
How to Watch Prime Video on Android TV Using Browser
Prime Video is also accessible through the web version. If you have a browser on Android TV, you can use it to stream the videos.
1. Launch a browser on Android TV.
2. Visit the official site of Prime Video (primevideo.com).
3. Click the Sign In icon and log in with the Amazon account.
4. Then, go to the Prime section and watch all the video content.
How to Cast Prime Video to Android TV Box
If you don’t wish to add Amazon Prime Video to your device, you can cast it on your TV from your smartphone. The Amazon Prime Video app has a built-in Cast feature on both Android and iOS devices.
1. Connect your smartphone to the same WiFi network as the Android TV.
2. Install Prime Video from Play Store or App Store on your smartphone or tablet.
3. Open the Prime Video app and sign in with your Amazon account.
4. Tap on the Cast icon on the Prime Video app.
5. Choose your Android TV name.
6. Select any video on the app you want to watch.
7. Now, the video will appear on your TV.
8. To stop the casting, click the Cast icon again and choose Disconnect.
How to Sideload Prime Video on Android TV
1. Go to Google Play Store and install the Downloader app.
2. Then, install the Sideload Launcher app from the Play Store. Without the Sideload Launcher app, you can’t access APK files on your Android TV.
3. After installing the app, go to Settings → Device Preferences → Security & Restrictions → Downloader → slide the toggle.
4. Now, launch the Downloader app and allow the necessary permissions.
5. Enter the URL for Prime Video Android TV apk.
6. Click on GO to download the apk file.
7. Tap on the Install option to install the Prime Video app.
8. Click the Open option and complete the activation process.
9. After activation, stream the movie and TV shows you want.
Other Supported Devices
Amazon Prime Video is available to use on multiple devices so that everyone can enjoy the services. Here is a list of devices other than Android TV with Prime Video.
- Apple TV
- Fire TV
- Chromecast with Google TV
- Android Smartphones and tablets
- iPhones and iPads
- PC and Mac [Web browsers]
- TiVo Stream
- Blu-ray players
Frequently Asked Questions
The Prime Video app is free to download on your TV. However, you need to sign up for a Prime subscription to watch movies and series on the app. You can also buy or rent video titles.
If the Amazon Prime Video app is not working on your Android TV, you can try uninstalling and installing the app.