Most streaming apps available for Android TVs, like Hulu, HBO Max, Disney Plus, and Netflix, are subscription-based platforms. There are only a few streaming apps that are available for free. Disney Plus. And Popcorn Time is one of the best free streaming apps for Android TV. With the Popcorn Time app on your Android TV Box, you can watch thousands of movies and TV shows. Most of the video titles available in Popcorn Time are equipped with subtitles support.
How to Sideload Popcorn Time on Android TV using Downloader
1. Open the Play Store on your TV.
2. Tap the Search icon and search for the Downloader app on your Android TV.
3. Select the Downloader app from the search results.
4. Tap the Install button on the next screen to get the app.
5. Launch the Settings menu on your Android TV and choose Device Preferences.
6. Click on the Security and Restrictions option.
7. Next, click the Unknown Sources option and turn on the Downloader toggle.
8. Open the Downloader app and tap the Allow button.
9. Go to the Search bar and enter the AFTVnews Plugin URL (browser.aftvnews.com).
10. Enter the Popcorn Time Android TV APK URL and click the Go button.
11. The APK file will be downloaded. Tap the Install button to get the app.
12. Open the Popcorn Time app and watch all the video content for free.
Alternate Way to Sideload Popcorn Time on Android TV
Apart from the Downloader app, you can also use the ES File Explorer on your Android TV. But to access APK files on the ES File Explorer app, you need to get the premium version. The pro version costs $9.99 per month.
1. Launch the Google Play Store on your Android TV.
2. To search for the app, click on the Search icon.
3. Type ES File Explorer in the search bar and search for it.
4. Pick up the app from the search results.
5. Click on the Install button and start the app to install.
6. Enable the Unknown Sources toggle for the ES File Explorer app, the same as the Downloader app.
7. Download the Popcorn Time TV APK on your PC.
8. Upload the latest version of the Popcorn Time APK file to your Google Drive account.
9. Launch the ES File Explorer app on your Android TV.
10. On the app, open the Action menu. If you have the Popcorn Time APK link, click the +New button and enter the link to download the APK file.
11. Click on the Network option and then on the Cloud option.
12. From the top-right corner of your app, click on the New option.
13. Sign in with your Google account and access the Popcorn Time APK.
14. Install the Popcorn Time app on your Android TV Box.
15. Start streaming your favorite movies and TV shows on the Popcorn Time app.
You have to sideload the app on your Android TV. The main issue with sideloaded apps is that they may track your online presence and search history. So, it is advisable to use a VPN service on Android TV to hide your IP address from trackers and to stay away from online threats.
How to Update Popcorn Time on Android TV / Box
Similar to updating apps on Android TV, you can’t update Popcorn Time on Android TV from the Play Store. You have to use the same installation method to update the app. Uninstall the Popcorn Time app on your Android TV and delete the APK file. Then, get the download link for the latest version of the Popcorn Time app. Using the Downloader or ES File Explorer app, install the latest version of Popcorn Time. Before uploading the link, make sure that you are getting the latest version. As of now (08th November 2022), the latest version of Popcorn Time is 6.2.1.
How to Cast Popcorn Time on Android TV
If you think adding the Popcorn Time app is more complicated, you can simply cast it on your TV. Ensure your smartphone and Android TV are connected to the same WiFi network.
1. Install the Popcorn Time app on your smartphone using the APK file.
2. Open the Popcorn Time app.
3. Choose any video you want to watch on your TV from the app.
4. Tap on the Cast icon in the Popcorn Time app.
6. Choose your Android TV from the list of devices.
7. Finally, the video from Popcorn Time will start streaming on TV.
Supported Android TV Models
- Sony Smart TV
- TCL Smart TV
- Hisense Smart TV
- Sharp Smart TV
- Skyworth Smart TV
- Panasonic Smart TV
- Philips Smart TV
- Toshiba Smart TV
- JVC Smart TV
Supported Android TV Boxes
- Nvidia Shield TV
- DIRECTV Stream
- Mi Box 4K
- H96 Android TV Box
Frequently Asked Questions
Popcorn Time has had some performance issues in the recent past and it is not working for some of the users. So, it is better to switch to any of the alternatives. You can try Cyberflix or CatMouse on your Android TV.