Philo is one of the most affordable live TV streaming services that offer more than 60 live TV channels. Philo is one of the major rivals of YouTube TV, Sling TV, and Hulu. Though Philo is the cheapest live TV platform, you will get the same features as compared to other live TV services like unlimited DVR, multiple devices, offline download, and, more importantly, a dedicated app for Android TV.
Philo is the best live TV streaming platform for news and reality shows. Popular news channels like AccuWeather and BBC World News. But, if you are a sports lover, Philo is not a great choice for you. The sports channels in the Philo lineup are very minimal. If you want more sports content, you can get fuboTV or YouTube TV on your Android TV.
Philo offers only one subscription plan, and it costs you $25 per month with the 7-day free trial. If you want more channels, you can get individual addons like Epix and Starz.
Philo on Android TV
Philo is available for download on a variety of devices, and it includes Android TV.
Supported Android TV
- Sony Smart TV
- TCL Smart TV
- Philips Smart TV
- Sharp Smart TV
- Hisense Smart TV
- JVC Smart TV
Supported Android TV Box
- Nvidia Shield TV
- AT&T TV
- Xiaomi Mi Box S
- Mecool Android TV Box
How to Install and Watch Philo on Android TV
1. Tap the Home or Menu button of your remote.
2. Select the Apps tab and open the Google Play Store.
3. Click on the Search icon on your screen.
4. Search for the Philo app on the search bar.
5. Pick the Philo app from the search results.
6. Select the Install button and start downloading the app.
7. Wait till the download finishes for a few minutes.
8. Now, launch the Philo app on your TV.
9. Sign in to your Philo account with credentials.
10. Start streaming your favorite content from the Philo app.
How to Cast Philo on Android TV
If you don’t want to install the Philo app on your TV, you can cast it using your smartphone. But, there is a limitation to that. Only the Philo app for Android smartphones comes with cast support. For iOS, you can’t cast the app to your TV.
1. Connect your Android smartphone and Android TV to the same WiFi.
2. Install the Philo app on your Android smartphone from the Play Store and sign in with the login credentials of your account.
3. From the top-right of the screen, click on the Cast icon.
4. You will be shown the list of available devices to cast. Choose your Android TV from the list.
5. Within a few minutes, the app gets cast on your Android TV.
6. Play any channel or on-demand content from Philo and watch it on your TV.
How to Watch Philo on Android TV Outside the US
As of today, Philo is available only in the US. So, if you are out of the US, you need to sideload the apk file on your Android TV. Follow these steps to sideload the same on your Android TV.
Step 1: Installing Downloader on Android TV
To sideload apps on Android TV, you need to install the Downloader app.
1. Open the Google Play Store on your Android TV.
2. To search for the Downloader app, click on the Search icon.
3. Type Downloader by AFTV news on the search bar and search for the app.
4. Click on the Install button.
5. In the latest version of Android TV, the sideloaded apk files won’t be listed in the Apps section by default. To get the apk file on Android TV, you need to install the Sideload Launcher on your Android TV from the Play Store.
Step 2: Enable Unknown Sources
To install apps from unknown sources, you need to make a few changes to Android TV settings.
1. Launch the Settings menu from your home screen.
2. Scroll down to click on the Security & restrictions option. For the updated version of Android TV, click the Device Preferences and choose Security & restrictions.
3. Select the Unknown Sources option.
4. Select the Downloader app and enable the Install unknown apps toggle.
Step 3: Install Philo Using Downloader
Now, all you need to do is add Philo to your Android TV using the Downloader app.
1. Initially, open the Downloader app on your Android TV.
2. When it prompts, click on the Allow option.
3. Install the AFTVnews plugin using the URL browser.aftvnews.com. This plugin will allow the Downloader app to install apk files.
4. Then, enter the URL for Philo Android TV apk in the search bar.
5. Click on the Go option and download the apk file.
6. Tap the Install button to install the apk file.
7. Open the Philo app and stream the live TV content outside the USA.
Other Supported Devices
Philo is available on multiple devices other than Android TVs. However, you can’t enjoy them on gaming consoles and Bluray players. Here is a list of devices with Philo.
- Apple TV
- Amazon Fire TV
- Amazon Fire tablet
- Google Chromecast
- Chromecast with Google TV
- Android smartphones and tablets
- Sony Smart TV
- Vizio Smart TV
These are three different ways to access Philo on Android TV. You can pick any method based on your preference. If you have any difficulties while accessing the app, you can tell us in the comments section.