Getting a browser on your Android TV will have more benefits than accessing streaming sites. When you are looking for the best alternative to Chrome browser, you can go for Opera Browser on your Android TV. Although the browser app is unavailable in the Play Store, You can download the app on your Android Smart TV/ Android TV Box through sideloading.
Opera Browser has a user-friendly interface for seamless web browsing. You can switch to the Dark mode on this browser for effective surfing. You can use the free inbuilt VPN for bypassing geo-restriction and anonymous browsing on your Android TV. The Opera browser has an ad-block option to remove ads on the web pages and a tracker block to ensure complete privacy for your browsing.
We have curated the sideloading steps of Opera Browser on your Android TV with supported images. You can also access the web browser on your TV by casting from your Smartphone.
How to Sideload Opera Browser on Android TV
The Opera Browser app is not available for Android TV. So, to stream its content, you need to sideload the app on your Android TV using the Downloader app.
1. Install the Downloader app on your Android TV from the Play Store.
2. Click the Settings icon on your Android TV.
3. From the options, go to Device Preferences → Security & Restrictions.
4. Click Unknown Sources → Turn on the Downloader toggle.
5. Now, open the Downloader app on Android TV from the home screen.
6. Tap Allow to accept the storage permissions.
7. Choose Home from the left pane, and enter the download link of Opera Browser APK [https://bit.ly/3PuyjQ1] in the URL field.
8. Click Go to download the APK file on your Android TV.
9. Once the file is downloaded, open it and click Install.
10. Then, click Open to launch the app and start surfing on the browser.
How to Use Opera Browser on Android TV
1. When you open the Opera web browser on your Android TV, you will get the home screen.
2. Click on the Search bar and enter the URL or search term using a virtual keyboard.
3. Surf the internet on your Android TV.
4. As you are sideloading the web browser on Android TV, you need a keyboard or mouse toggle on your Android TV for navigation purposes.
How to Cast Opera Browser on Android TV
If you don’t want to sideload the Opera Browser app on Android TV, then you can screen mirror the app from your Android smartphone to your TV screen.
1. Connect your smartphone and Android TV to the same WiFi network.
2. Install the Opera Browser app on your Android smartphone from the Play Store.
3. Launch the app on your Android Smartphone.
4. Surf the webpages or play the video content on the Opera Browser.
5. Go to the Notification Panel and tap the Cast icon.
6. Choose your Android TV to mirror your Smartphone screen.
7.. Now, you can view the Opera Browser on your Android TV.
Opera Browser on Android TV – Limitations
Opera Browser is mainly focused on PC browsing. A lot of features available in the PC version of Opera browser are not available in the smartphone version. As you are sideloading the smartphone’s APK file on your TV, you will have a lot of limitations on the Opera browser.
- Recently, Opera launched a new TikTok option in the Sidebar to watch TikTok videos. The feature is not available for smartphones. It is only for PCs.
- The Sidebar feature is available only for PCs. It is not available for the smartphone app.
- You can’t install any extensions on the Opera browser.
- The built-in screenshot tool is available on the PC version.
- The Pinboard feature to take quick notes is unavailable for the smartphone version.
To get the Opera browser on your Android TV, your TV should have Android version 4.1 or higher. You can check the Android TV version in the Device Preference menu. If you use an older version, update your Android TV to its latest firmware.
Supported Android TVs
- Sony Smart TV
- TCL Smart TV
- OnePlus Smart TV
- Sharp Smart TV
- Vu Smart TV
- Philips Smart TV
- Xiaomi Mi Smart TV
- Hisense Smart TV
Supported Android TV Boxes
- Nvidia Shield TV
- Airtel Xstream
- MXQ Pro 4K
- Mi Box 4K
Yes, with the built-in VPN, the Opera browser will hide your IP address while surfing the internet. You get three virtual locations for free. For more locations, you need to buy the VPN Pro from the Opera website.
No, Chrome for Android TV has better security features when compared to Opera.