In Android TV, you can’t play video files in all formats. Only a specific video format can be watched. If you want to watch videos from multiple formats, you need to get the Player app on your Android TV or Android TV Box. Similar to VLC on Android TV, you can play almost all the video and audio files with the nPlayer app. Videos files supported on nPlayer include MP4, MOV, TP, FLV, RMVB, MKV, AVI, and more. Also, it supports audio files like MP3, WAV, WMA, FLAC, APE, and more.
How to Sideload nPlayer on Android TV
To access the nPlayer app on your Android TV, you must sideload it from a third-party site. The nPlayer is not yet for Android TV in the Play Store.
1. Turn on your Android TV and launch the Google Play Store.
2. Click on the Search icon and type in Downloader using the virtual on-screen keyboard.
3. Choose the Downloader app icon from the search suggestions and click on the Install button.
4. Wait for a few minutes till the app is installed on your TV.
5. Open the Android TV Settings menu from the home screen and click on Device Preferences.
6. Choose the Security & Restrictions option.
7. Click on the Unknown Sources option and select the Downloader app.
8. Enable the Unknown Sources toggle for the Downloader app.
9. Now, open the Downloader app. Click on the Allow option if prompted.
10. Enter the AFTVnews Plugin URL (browser.aftvnews.com) and download the plugin.
11. Type in the nPlayer Android TV APK URL and click the Go button.
12. Download the nPlayer APK file.
13. Install the nPlayer app on your TV by tapping the Install button
14. Launch the nPlayer app on your TV and complete the sign-in process.
15. Now, you can watch all the offline videos without any format or codec issues.
How to Cast nPlayer on Android TV
The nPlayer app is compatible with the Cast support. With that, you can cast the app from your smartphone. If you prefer casting, you don’t need to sideload the app on your Android TV.
1. Connect your Android TV and smartphone to the same WiFi network.
2. Download the nPlayer from the Play Store.
3. Once the app installation is over, launch it on your device and play any video.
4. From the bottom-left part of your screen, tap on the Cast icon.
5. From the list of available devices, choose your Android TV.
6. Now, play any video from the nPlayer app. It will appear on your Android TV.
Supported Android TVs
- Sony Smart TV
- Sharp Smart TV
- TCL Smart TV
- Hisense Smart TV
- Philips Smart TV
- Skyworth Smart TV
- MI Smart TV
Supported Android TV Boxes
- DIRECTV Stream Box
- AT&T TV
- Mi Box and Mi Box S
Yes, nPlayer supports subtitle formats like SUB, SSA, IDX, SMI, SRT, SUP, MLP2, LTC, and more. In addition, nPlayer supports embedded subtitles, multi-track subtitles, external subtitles, and SAMI(SMI) tags.