Linux is an open-source operating system made of PCs. But, you can install Linux on Android TV Box and manage the system’s hardware and resources like CPU, memory, and storage. To get the Linux on your Android TV Box, you can use the UserLAnd, Andronix, Anlinux, and Linux deploy. The easiest way to get Linux is by using the UserLAnd app. Unfortunately, you can’t install Linux on Android TV.
How to Install Linux on Android TV Box using UserLAnd
1. Open Google Play Store on your Android TV Box.
2. Using the Search icon, search for the UserLAnd app.
3. Click on the Install button to get the app on your Android TV Box.
4. If the UserLAnd app is unavailable on the Play Store, you have to sideload the app on your Android TV Box using Downloader.
Steps to Use UserLAnd App on Android TV Box
1. Open the UserLAnd app on your Android Smart TV.
2. You have to select your preferred Linux Distribution. UserLAnd app supports some Linux Distributions, namely Ubuntu, Arch, Kali, Alpine, and Debian.
3. Enable the storage permission for the Linux Distribution that you have selected.
4. Now, you have to enter the username and password.
5. After entering the details, click on Continue.
6. Next, you have to select the connection type. You can see three options, namely, SSH, VNC, and XSDL.
7. After selecting the connection type, the required software will be downloaded.
8. You can see a menu on your Android TV screen which asks password.
9. Now, enter the password that you used in the beginning.
10. In this step, the files that are needed to install Linux on your Android TV Box will start to download.
11. Update the files by entering the Linux command
apt update && apt upgrade
12. To launch the desktop environment, you have to enter the Linux codes that you see below.
How to Install Apps on Linux
You can only install and use the applications that support Linux. To install third-party apps on your Linux, run the following commands.
sudo apt update
sudo apt install xxx
In the place of xxx, you can type the name of the app that you want to download. For example, sudo apt install Firefox.
To install and use Linux OS, your Android TV Box should have a lot of free memory. You can’t install Linux on all the Android TV Boxes. Some of the recommended Android TV Boxes to install Linux are XBMCMart Smart Android TV Box Player, AntFraer Android TV Box, and Android TV Box RK3318.
Android TV OS is powered by Linux Kernel. But, it is completely different from Linux OS.
No, Android smartphones can’t run Linux OS.