For Android TV, Kanopy is a legal video streaming platform that offers documentaries, movies, and kid’s programs. You can install it directly from the Play Store as Kanopy has its optimized app for Android TV. However, you can also stream this platform by either visiting its webpage or casting its content. Most importantly, you should use a VPN if you’re from outside the US since Kanopy is a geo-restricted platform
Kanopy is a free streaming service supported by public libraries and universities. So, to access its media content, you need to be a student/professor from the participating colleges and universities or hold a valid library card issued by the participating public libraries. After getting a free login, You can browse the Independent Film, Classic Cinema, and Oscar Winners & Nominees sections.
Our curated guide provides all possible ways to install and stream Kanopy on Android TV. It also includes the troubleshooting tips and alternatives to this app for your added information.
How to Install Kanopy on Android TV from the Play Store
1. Go to the home screen on your Android TV and click on Apps.
2. Open the Google Play Store and click the Search icon.
3. Enter Kanopy in the search bar and locate the app.
4. Select Kanopy from the suggested results.
5. Click Install to get the app on your Android TV.
6. Once the app is installed, click Open to launch the Kanopy app.
7. Sign in to the app with the valid credentials or sign up with the new account.
8. Navigate to select and play whatever content you want on your TV screen.
How to Watch Kanopy Using Browser
Kanopy has a dedicated webpage with an extensive media library of numerous media content. You can access the Kanopy website using any of the best browsers on your Android TV.
1. Open a web browser on your Android TV.
2. Enter the URL (http://www.kanopy.com/) in the address bar and go to that website.
3. Log in with your existing account using the valid credentials.
Otherwise, you should open a new account by clicking the GET STARTED button and providing the essential information asked by Kanopy.
4. Select your favorite media content from the available options and enjoy streaming.
How to Install Kanopy on Android TV Outside the US
If you can’t find Kanopy in the Play Store in your country other than the US, it must be geo-restricted. Therefore, you need to sideload its APK file using the Downloader on Android TV.
1. Turn on your Android TV and head to the Apps section.
2. Locate the Google Play Store and launch it.
3. Click on the Search icon and type Downloader in the required field.
4. Locate the Downloader app developed by AFTVnews and hit the Install button.
5. Wait for a while to download and install the Downloader app on your device.
6. Once the Downloader app is installed successfully, press the home button on your remote.
7. Now, navigate to the Settings icon from the home page.
8. From the options, go to Device Preferences → Security & Restrictions.
9. Click Unknown Sources → Turn on the Downloader toggle.
10. Now. go back to the home screen and launch the Downloader app.
11. Accept the storage and other permissions asked by the app on your TV.
12. Choose Home from the left pane, and type the below-mentioned URL in the required field.
Download link for the latest version of Kanopy APK: bit.ly/3QZC3JR
13. Click Go to download the APK file on your Android TV.
14. Once the file is downloaded, open it and click Install.
15. After the downloading process, return to the homepage and navigate to the Apps section.
16. Now, you need to install any of the VPNs on your Android TV, like NordVPN or ExpressVPN, and connect to the US server.
17. Then, click Open to launch the Kanopy app and watch your desired media content.
How to Cast Kanopy on Android TV
The Kanopy is compatible with the built-in Cast support. With that, you can easily cast the Kanopy from your smartphone to Android TV if you don’t want to sideload the app.
2. Connect Android TV to a WiFi network. On the other hand, connect your smartphone to the same network.
3. Open the Kanopy app on your smartphone and log in with your account.
4. Click the Cast icon from the app.
5. From the list of devices, choose your Android TV.
6. Play the video content on the app. Now, the content will appear on your Android TV.
Supported Android TVs and Boxes
|Smart TVs||Smart TV Boxes|
|Sony Smart TV|
TCL Smart TV
Sharp Smart TV
Panasonic Smart TV
Skyworth Smart TV
Philips Smart TV
Mi Smart TV
Hisense Smart TV
|Nvidia Shield TV|
Mi Box 4K
How to Fix Not Working Issues of Kanopy on Android TV
If the Kanopy app is not working properly on your Android TV due to issues like a black screen, app freezing, and more, then you need to perform the troubleshooting fixes listed below to resolve those problems.
- Ensure your Android TV is connected to an internet connection with higher bandwidth.
- Reboot your Android TV to resolve the temporary bugs associated with the device and app.
- Close and relaunch the Kanopy application on your device.
- Update your Android TV firmware and the app to the latest version.
- Clear the app cache files for the Kanopy app.
- Reset your Android TV to solve the major problems for both the device and the app.
If you feel that Kanopy isn’t for you or if you are unsatisfied with the service it provides, you can switch over to some other platform to stream the media content. Here are the best options you can choose as an alternative solution to Kanopy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. The official app for Kanopy is officially available on the Play Store of Android TV.
Kanopy can be installed on your Android TV if it runs with Android OS 7.0 or later.