Jellyfin for Android TV is an application that lets you store or play media files from a Jellyfin server for free. It is available on the Google Play Store so you can install it with ease. With the Jellyfin app, you can stream audio, video, and photos. SyncPlay lets you create rooms so that your friends can join and watch the content with you. In addition, you can read documents such as books, comics, and magazines on Android TV.
If you can’t find Jellyfin in the Google Play Store, you don’t need to worry. Because you can use the Downloader app to sideload the APK version from a trusted platform. Jellyfin works on the client-server model so you need to install the software on both the server and client devices. Android TVs, smartphones, tablets, gaming consoles, and streaming devices can be used as client devices to access the media files stored on the Jellyfin server.
How to Install Jellyfin on Android TV from Play Store
1. Connect Android TV to WIFI once you turn it on.
2. On the home screen, click on Apps and select Google Play Store. After that, click the Search icon.
3. Enter Jellyfin for Android TV and search for the app.
4. Choose Jellyfin for Android TV from the search result and click the Install button.
5. Once it is installed, click Open to launch the app and start streaming the content from a server.
How to Download Jellyfin on Android TV Using Downloader
You can sideload the app on Android TV if you can’t find Jellyfin in the Google Play Store. Downloader is the best way to download APK files from a trusted third-party website.
How to Sideload Jellyfin on Android TV Using Downloader
1. On the home screen of your Android TV, click on Apps.
2. Next, click on Play Store and tap the Search icon.
3. Search for Downloader, select the app, and click the Install button.
4. Return to the Android TV home screen, and go to Settings.
5. Below the Settings, click on Device Preferences.
6. Click on Security & restrictions.
7. Select Install Unknown Apps. Click on the toggle next to the Downloader and turn it on.
8. Open Downloader on Android TV and click Allow to accept the storage access.
9. Enter the Jellyfin Android TV apk URL and click on Go to download the file.
10. After downloading the file, open and install it.
11. Once the installation is over, you will see a pop-up message stating to delete the file immediately.
13. To remove the apk file, click on Delete.
14. Go back to the home screen and launch the Sideload launcher on Android TV.
15. From the sideload launcher, launch the Jellyfin app.
How to Cast Jellyfin to Android TV Using Smartphone
1. First, ensure that your Android TV and smartphone are connected to the same WIFI network.
2. Open the Play Store on your Android device, search for Jellyfin, and install the app.
3. After installing the app, open Jellyfin on your smartphone.
4. Now, click on Add Server.
5. Enter the host address and click on Connect to establish a connection to the server.
7. Sign in using the server name and password.
8. You can see the media once you are connected.
9. Click on the Cast icon at the top of the screen.
10. Select your Android TV from the list.
11. Once connected, you will be able to cast all media from your smartphone to Android TV.
Supported Android TVs
- Sony Smart TV
- TCL Smart TV
- Hisense Smart TV
- Sharp Smart TV
- Skyworth Smart TV
- Philips Smart TV
- Mi Smart TV
- Panasonic Smart TV
Supported Android TV Boxes
- Xiaomi Mi Box 4K and Mi Box S
- Nvidia Shield
- DIRECTV Stream Box
Other Supported Devices
- Fire TV
- Apple TV
- LG Web OS
If you are searching for an alternative to Jellyfin, there are some free open-source media servers.
- With Jellyfin, you can watch movies, TV shows, and music from anywhere on your device.
- It has no limitations on the number of users.
- It is secure and has more privacy features.
- Like Emby on Android TV, you can add third-party plugins to extend the functionality of Jellyfin.
- As Jellyfin has Chromecast built-in, you can cast media files from your smartphone onto a Chromecast device.
Frequently Asked Questions
Jellyfin is safe to use because it is licensed under the GNU GPL.