It is possible to take screenshots on Android TV, just like on smartphones or tablets. Android TV has a lot of tips and tricks that most users are unaware of. Among those, screenshots are one of them. There are no difficulties with taking screenshots on the TV. However, all the methods to take screenshots aren’t applicable to all Android TVs.
Because some TVs won’t have built-in screenshot features while others have it. So, to take screenshots on Android TV, you can try different methods and see which method fits your TV the best.
Table of Contents
Different Methods to Take A Screenshot on Android TV
You can take screenshots on TV using different methods. The methods are:
- Using Remote
- Default Screenshot Option
- TV Remote App
- Button Mapper App
- Third-Party Screenshot App
How to Take Screenshots on Android TV Using Remote
Press the Power and Volume Down buttons at the same time. If you hear a capture sound or see a capture animation, then it means that the screenshot has been captured successfully.
Take Screenshots on Android TV Using the Default Screenshot Option
Some Android TVs come with a built-in Screenshot feature. To access this feature, press and hold the Home and Power buttons (various from TV to TV) until you see a pop-up menu.
Here, select the Screenshot option. Your Android TV will ask you whether to ‘Save to Photos’ or ‘Save and Share.’ Depending on your need, choose the option you want.
Take Screenshots on Android TV Using the TV Remote App
Nowadays, most Android TVs come with their own remote control app. These apps usually have a lot of options, including the screenshot function. All you need to do is connect your remote control app with your Android TV. Then, tap the Screenshot option to take a snap of your TV screen.
Take Screenshots on Android TV Using the Button Mapper App
The Button Mapper app is available on your Play Store and can be used to remap custom actions to your hardware buttons like volume up, volume down, or more. By using this app, you can set which button you want to use for taking screenshots on your TV. Open the Button Mapper and assign your preferred key to take a screenshot on your Android TV.
1. Launch the Google Play Store on your Android TV.
2. Search for the Button Mapper and install it.
3. After installing, hit the Open button to launch the app.
4. Now, you need to enable the Accessibility Services to use the app further. For that, follow the below steps.
- Settings → Device Preferences → Accessibility → Find the Button Mapper app → Enable the toggle near the app.
5. Once again, open the app and assign the button (Volume Up/Down, Back, and Home) of your choice for the screenshot function.
If you want to launch an app, take a screenshot, or adjust the brightness, you can even do it with a single press, double press, or long press by adjusting the customization option. Remember, you can also install the Button Mapper app on an Android smartphone and connect it to the TV app in order to take the screenshot on your TV.
Take Screenshots on Android TV Using the Third-Party Screenshot App
Although most Android TVs come with their own remote, there are still some TVs that don’t have their own remote app. This is where CetusPlay comes into play. It is a TV remote app that can be used to control most Android TVs or TV boxes. This app also has all the features that other TV remotes have, including screenshots.
1. Make sure that connect the Android TV to a WiFi network in which your smartphone is connected..
2. Download and install CetusPlay on your Android TV from the Play Store.
3. Enable the USB debugging option before launching the application by following the below navigations.
- Settings → Device Preferences → About → Build → keep clicking on Build up to 7 times → go back to Device Preferences → Developer Options → Enable USB debugging.
4. Launch the CetusPlay app on your TV and accept the necessary permissions.
5. Now, you need to install CetusPlay on your smartphone from the Play Store.
6. After installing, open the app on your phone and navigate to the hamburger menu icon at the top-left corner.
7. From the available devices, select Android TV.
8. Once the connection is established between your TV and smartphone, tap the Screen Capture option from the mobile app.
Tip: You can use a file manager app like Solid Explorer on Android TV to manage and access the screenshot files
Frequently Asked Questions
To view screenshots on the TV, go to Photos & Videos > Screenshots. Here, you can see the screenshots you have taken.
You can’t take screenshots while streaming Netflix on Android TV.
No, ‘Hey Google, take a screenshot’ only works on Android smartphones and tablets.