Sideloading is a process that you can use to install apps that are not available through the official channel. If you can’t find the required app on the Google Play Store of Android TV, then you can use the sideloading method to install your desired app on your TV. You can sideload the app on your Android TV using various methods. Here, we have listed the possible ways to sideload any apps on your Android Smart TV.
Table of Contents
Different Methods to Sideload Apps on Android TV / Android TV Box
You can sideload apps on Google TV by using the methods below:
- Sideload using Downloader for TV app
- Sideload apps using Android Smartphone
- Sideload apps using Cloud Storage
- Sideload APK using a USB drive
To install unknown apps on your Android TV, you need to enable the unknown sources for the tool you will use for sideloading.
1) Turn on your Android TV and navigate to Settings.
2) Click on Device Preferences and select Security & Restrictions.
3) Click on Unknown sources and turn the toggle on for the Sideloading tool you want (for example – Downloader for TV, Send to Files, File Commander)
Sideload Apps using Downloader for TV
1. Turn On your Android TV and connect it to a proper internet connection.
2. Now, launch the Google Play Store and search for the Downloader for TV app.
3. Locate and find the download the Downloader for TV app from the search results.
4. Click the Install button to add the Downloader for TV app on your TV.
5. After downloading, open the Downloader for TV app and allow the required permission.
4. Now, select the Home tab from the sidebar and enter the required APK link.
FYI: You can use the urlsrt.io website to shorten the APK link.
5. Click the Download button to download the APK file on your TV.
6. Now, select the Files option from the left menu and choose the APK that you have downloaded on your TV.
7. Hit the Install button from the popup menu to install the app on your TV.
8. After installing the app, click the Open button to launch the app on your Android TV.
Sideload Apps Using Android Smartphone
1) On your Android device, download the APK file of the app that you wish to sideload.
2) Go to Play Store and Install Send Files to TV app on your Android TV and Android Smartphone.
3) Once the installation is done, open the Send Files to TV app on both devices.
4) Ensure that both devices are connected to the same network.
5) Select the Receive option on your Android TV.
6) Click on the Send option on your Android Smartphone as you are sending the APK file.
7) Select the APK file and send it to your Android TV by clicking on the name of the TV.
8) Now, the APK file will be sent to your Android TV.
9) On your Android TV, go to Play Store and download the File Commander app.
10) Enable File Commander in Unknown Sources.
11) Launch the File Commander app and select Internal Storage.
12) Navigate to the Downloads folder and search for the APK file that you’ve received from your Android Smartphone.
13) Choose the APK file and click on Install.
14) The app will be installed on your Android TV.
Sideload Apps Using Cloud Storage
1) Launch your Smartphone and download the APK file for the app you want.
2) Upload the APK file to a cloud storage application like Google Drive.
3) Download and install File Commander on your Android TV and enable unknown sources for it.
4) Open the File Commander app and go to Menu.
5) Click on the Add Cloud option and choose Google Drive.
6) Log in to your account and select the APK file that you have uploaded.
7) Run the file and install the app on your Android TV
Sideload Apps using a USB Drive
1. Download your desired APK file on your PC and transfer it to your USB drive.
2. Now, eject the USB drive from your PC and connect it to your TV’s USB port.
3. Turn On your TV and select the Settings option.
4. Choose Apps and click on the TV Guard option.
5. Hit the App Manager tile and choose the Install from USB option
6. Now, select your USB drive and find the APK file you need to install on your TV.
6. Click the OK button to install the app on your TV.
How to Launch the Sideloded Apps on Android TV
Unlike the regular apps, the sideloaded apps will not be available in the launcher or the Apps menu. Instead, you need to access them through Settings > Apps. Here, you can find all the sideloaded apps on your Android TV.
You can also install Sideload Launcher from your Play Store to select and open the sideloaded apps on your Android TV.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can sideload apps on Android TV in several ways.
You can sideload Apk to Android TV from your Smartphone, PC, or Cloud Storage.