When you leave your Android TV idle for some time, you happen to see some pictures with time and weather appear on the TV. This is called a screensaver. Do you know that you can change the screen saver on your Android TV?. Yes. If you don’t like those images, you can change the screen saver with your personal photos. You can also customize the aspect ratio and change the transition effect for the screen saver.
You can change the screen saver on Android TV through its settings and with the Google Home app. You can also add personal photos from Google Photos or use any pictures as a screen saver.
How to Change Screen Saver on Android TV
Android TV comes with an in-build screen saver feature. You can directly change the screen saver from the settings. However, the options are limited.
1. Tap the Settings icon from the top right corner of your Android TV home screen.
2. Under that, choose the Device Preferences option.
3. Scroll down and select Screen Saver.
4. From the Screen Saver menu, choose Screen Saver once again.
5. Now, choose the screen saver that you want to use.
6. You can tweak screen saver settings as you like.
- When to Start – Set the number of minutes to start the screen saver after Android TV goes idle.
- Put Device to Sleep – Set the number of minutes idle before your TV goes to sleep.
- Start Now – You can preview the screen saver using this option.
- Sleep Now – To put the TV in sleep mode.
- Stay Awake on Music – While playing music, the TV won’t go idle.
Note: There are a lot of screen saver apps available on the Google Play Store. If you want more options, you can search for screen saver apps in the Play Store.
How to Change Android TV Screen Saver with Google Home App
Connect your Android phone and Android TV to the same network connection and follow the steps given below.
1. Install the Google Home app on your smartphone from the Play Store.
2. Follow the on-screen instructions to set up the app.
3. Launch the Google Home app and choose your Android TV device.
4. From the top right corner of the screen, tap Settings and choose Ambient mode.
5. Now, you will see three options to change the screen saver. You can select the one that you want.
- Google Photos – It shows the albums from your Google Photos account.
- Art Gallery – Here, you get images and artwork curated by Google.
- Experimental – Gives you images from new sources.
6. You have successfully changed the screen saver on your Android TV.
Related – How to Record Screen on Android TV
Fix Issues With your Screen Saver
If your screen saver is not showing the settings you chose, you have to make changes to the settings on your TV.
1. From the Android TV home screen, tap the Settings icon.
2. Select Screen saver and then Screen saver option again from the list.
3. Now, choose Backdrop, and your problems will be solved.
How to Set Custom Screen Saver on Android TV
1. Install Photo Gallery and Screensaver app on your Android TV from the Play Store.
2. After installing the app, go to Settings on your Android TV.
3. Tap Photo Sources and scroll down to open Local if you want to set custom screen savers from your local storage. For example, if you want to set it from Google Photos, you can select that one.
4. Tap Add Local Directory and allow permission to access the local storage.
5. Open Internal Shared Storage.
6. Click on Choose current directory, and now you have added Android TV’s entire local storage to the app.
7. Go to Settings and open the Set your screensaver option.
8. Open Screen saver and tap Photo Gallery and Screensaver.
9. That’s all. If you want to test the custom screensaver, click Default Your Settings from the Start Screensaver section.
10. Now, the screen saver will be live on your Android TV.
11. If the photos are not showing, you can choose Sync Now option to rescan all the images.
Related – How to Connect a webcam to Android TV
Frequently Asked Questions
You cannot change the home screen background on your Android TV.
If you can’t change the screen saver, make changes in your settings.
The screen saver on your Android TV will turn on after a specified time. The time range can be from 1 minute to 20 minutes.