Hotstar was launched as a standalone streaming platform, and later it was integrated with Disney Plus. Now, the Disney Plus Hotstar is available in India, Indonesia, Malaysia, and Thailand. In other countries, Hotstar is available as a separate app, and Disney Plus is available as a separate app. Hotstar is a subscription-based media streaming service that costs $9.99 per month. For Android TV, you can install both the Hotstar app, the Disney Plus app, or the Disney + Hotstar app based on your geolocation.
Though Hotstar is available in many countries, Hotstar is so popular in India. It offers live TV streaming for sports like the Indian Premier League (IPL), which is one of the best leagues of cricket. You can also enjoy sports like Tennis, Hockey, Badminton, Golf, Football, Table Tennis, and Formula 1 on Android TV. If you love watching Indian movies, series, and shows, then Hotstar is the right choice for you. Hotstar is available as Disney + Hotstar for Android TVs in India.
The subscription plan of Hotstar is different according to the region. Similarly, it provides different content in different countries depending on the broadcasting rights.
- In India, it offers three different plans: mobile plan (₹499/year), Super (₹899/year), and Premium (₹299/month or ₹1499/year)
- In the US, you can get subscribed to Hotstar at $9.99 per month.
- In the UK, you can opt for a £5.99 monthly plan or a £49.99 yearly subscription.
- You can also use the Hotstar app for free with limited video content.
Hotstar on Android TV
Hotstar is officially available on Android TV in the Play Store. So, if you have an Hotstar subscription, you can enjoy the content from the service on your TV.
Supported Android TV
- Sony Smart TV
- TCL Smart TV
- Sharp Smart TV
- Philips Smart TV
- JVC Smart TV
- Xiaomi Mi Smart TV
- Panasonic Smart TV
- Hisense Smart TV
Hotstar Supported Android TV box
- MI Box
- Nvidia Shield
- Tivo Stream 4K
- AT&T TV Box
- Ematic Android TV Box
How to Install and Activate Hotstar on Android TV
1. Press the Home button of your Android TV remote.
2. Hit the Apps tab on the home screen and open the Google Play Store.
3. Go to the Search icon.
4. Search for the Hotstar app on the search bar by typing.
5. Choose the Hotstar app from the search results.
6. Tap the Install button to get the application on your Android TV.
7. Wait for a few seconds so that the installation gets finished.
8. Launch the Hotstar app on your TV.
9. An activation code will appear on the screen.
10. Launch a web browser on your smartphone and then visit hotstar.com/activate/tv.
11. Login to your account and then enter the code.
12. After activation, the Hotstar app will load the media contents automatically on your TV.
How to Cast Hotstar on Android TV
The Hotstar smartphone application is compatible with Chromecast. With this, you can cast the Hotstar app from your smartphone to Android TV.
1. Initially, connect your smartphone and Android TV to the same WiFi network.
2. Visit the Play Store (Android) or App Store (iPhone/iPad) and install the Hotstar application. You can also install the Disney + Hotstar app on your smartphone.
3. Open the app and sign in to your Hotstar account.
4. Tap the Cast icon on the top-right corner of the Hotstar application. In the new version, the Cast icon will be placed on the top right of the screen.
5. From the list that appears on your screen, choose your Android TV.
6. Play any video or show that you would like to watch on your TV.
How to Sideload Hotstar on Android TV Box
If the Hotstar app and the Disney Plus Hotstar app are not available in your location, you can sideload the app on your Android TV.
1. Open the Play Store on your Android TV.
2. Search for the Downloader app and select the app.
3. Tap the Install button to get the Downloader app on your Android TV.
4. Then, install the Sideload Launcher on Android TV to access the APK files.
5. Now, go to the Android TV Settings menu and choose the Device Preferences option.
6. Tap the Security & Restrictions option and open the Unknown Sources menu.
7. Enable the Downloader app’s toggle.
8. Now, open the Downloader app and enter the AFTVnews Plugin URL (browser.aftvnews.com). Download the plugin to install APK files on Downloader.
9. Then, enter the Hotstar Android TV APK URL or the Disney Plus Hotstar Android TV APK URL. While getting links for the Hotstar APK, don’t get the Hotstar MOD APK for Android TV links. The MOD APK files will affect your Android TV’s software.
10. Download the APK file on your TV and install it.
11. Open the app and sign in with your Hotstar login credentials on your Android TV.
12. Watch all your favorite movies and TV shows.
Other Supported Devices
We can access Hotstar on a variety of devices apart from Android TVs. It means that whatever device you have, you can enjoy the amazing content from Hotstar. Let’s check out the devices that support the Hotstar application.
- Roku Streaming devices
- Google Chromecast
- Amazon FireTV
- Apple TV
- Chromecast with Google TV
- Samsung SmartTV
- Android smartphones and tablets
- iPhones and iPads
- PCs and Mac [website]
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can watch Disney Plus Hotstar for free but with limited video content.
The latest version of Hotstar for Android TV is 5.1.9