There are a lot of ways to customize the Android TV home screen. You can add an extra row for apps, reorder apps, change video previews, and more. For the sideloaded apps on your Android TV, you need to use Sideload Launcher to open the app. Instead of that, you can add a shortcut to the sideload app on your Android TV home screen and open the app with ease.
How to Create Shortcut for Sideloaded Apps on Android TV Home Screen
One of the easiest methods to create and add shortcuts on your Android TV home screen is by using the TV App Repo. Since TV App Repo is not having an official app, it is not found in Google Play Store. Instead, you can sideload it on your Android TV using the Downloader app.
How to Install TV App Repo on Android TV
1. Open the Google Play Store on your Android TV.
2. Search for the Downloader app.
3. Select the Downloader app and tap the Install button.
4. Open Android TV Settings and choose the Device Preferences option.
5. Select the Security & Restrictions feature and tap the Unknown Sources button.
6. Turn on the Downloader toggle.
7. Open the Downloader app and install the AFTVnews Plugin using the URL (browser.aftvnews.com).
8. Then, enter the TV App Repo APK URL and click the Go button.
9. Download the APK file and tap the Install button.
10. Open the TV App Repo on your Android TV
How to Use TV App Repo to Create Shortcuts on Android TV
1. When you open the TV App Repo app, you can see four options on the left side. Download APKs, Lean Back Shortcuts, Custome Shortcuts, and More.
2. Click on the Leanback Shortcuts option.
3. This option displays the list of APK files that you have downloaded on your Android TV. You can easily scroll and select the app that you want to create a shortcut.
4. Here, we chose the APKMirror app.
5. A pop-up menu will arise once you click on the app. Click the Create Shortcut button.
6. Now, the shortcut creating progress will appear at the bottom of the screen.
7. When it is completed, you can close the TV App Repo application.
8. Go to the Android TV home screen, you can see the create app shortcut.
The three tabs are Home, Discover, and Apps. If you want, you can customize them based on your preferences.