Without a doubt, you can say that HBO creates the best TV series. This includes the iconic HBO shows like Game of Thrones, Succession, Euphoria, and Mare of Easttown. HBO NOW is a popular streaming service from HBO launched in 2015. It is owned by WarnerMedia and serves as an on-demand streaming app on various devices. However, the app serves only in the USA and some of its territories. In this section, let’s explore more about the HBO NOW app and add it to our Android TV.
As of 2020, HBO NOW stopped services in the USA. However, HBO introduced a newly rebranded version of the app, HBO Max. Today, HBO Max is one of the top streaming services aside from Netflix and Disney Plus.
HBO NOW on Android TV
HBO NOW has made its own official Android TV app available in the Play Store. In this section, let’s find out three different methods to access HBO NOW on your TV.
Supported Android TV
- Sony Smart TV
- Sharp Smart TV
- TCL Smart TV
- JVC Smart TV
- Hisense Smart TV
- Philips Smart TV
- Panasonic Smart TV
- Skyworth Smart TV
Supported Android TV Box
- AT&T TV
- Mi Box and Mi Box S
How to Add HBO NOW on Android TV
1. Launch your Android TV and then connect it to the internet.
2. Click on the Apps tab and then launch the Google Play Store.
3. Further, click on the Search icon.
4. Search for the HBO NOW app.
5. Choose the HBO NOW app from among your search results.
6. Further, click on the Install button and then start downloading the app.
7. Open the HBO NOW app.
8. Next, click on Sign In and login with your account.
9. Start streaming your favorite HBO NOW shows on your TV.
How to add HBO NOW on Android TV outside the US
The HBO NOW app streams only in the US and some of its territories. So, if you are outside the US, you need to sideload the HBO NOW app on your TV.
- Installing Downloader on Android TV
- Enabling Unknown Sources
- Downloading HBO NOW using Downloader
Installing Downloader on Android TV
If you wish to install third-party apps on your Android TV, you need the Downloader app on your TV.
1. Turn on your Android TV and then launch the Google Play Store.
2. Select the Search icon and then type in Downloader by AFTV news in the search bar.
3. Choose the Downloader app icon from the app suggestions and then click on the Install button.
4. Wait for a few minutes so that the app installation is complete.
Enabling the Unknown Sources
1. Open the Settings app from the Android TV home screen.
2. Next, click on the Security & Restrictions option.
3. Further, click on the Unknown Sources option.
4. Finally, click on the Downloader option and turn on the toggle.
Downloading HBO NOW using Downloader
1. Firstly, launch the new Downloader app on your Android TV.
2. Further, click on the Allow option when prompted.
3. Type in the URL for HBO NOW Android TV APK in the Downloader app.
4. Click on the Go option and then download the HBO NOW APK file.
5. Further, start installing the HBO NOW app on your TV.
6. Then, launch the HBO NOW app and watch your favorite movies on your Android TV.
How to Cast HBO NOW on Android TV
1. Firstly, connect both your Android TV and your casting device to the same WiFi network.
2. Install HBO NOW on your casting phone from the Google Play Store or App Store.
3. Launch the HBO NOW app and then complete the sign-in process.
4. You can see the Cast icon on top of the screen. Click on this icon to enable casting.
5. Select your Android TV from the list and then start casting.
6. Finally, play your favorite movies and series from the app and enjoy watching on TV.
Other Devices that support HBO NOW
- Smartphones and Tablets (Android OS 5 and later)
- iPhones and iPads (iOS 12.2 and later)
- Windows PC
- Apple Mac
- Apple TV (4th gen. and later)
- Amazon Fire TV Stick
- Xbox One
- Xfinity X1 and Xfinity Flex
- Web browsers (latest version)
Frequently Asked Questions
No, HBO NOW was replaced by HBO Max on all supported devices in 2020.
Yes, HBO NOW app was available for Android TV. But, after the launch of the HBO Max app, the HBO NOW app was removed from the Play Store.