|Freemium ($1.99 user/month)
Google Drive is a cloud storage service launched by Google to save files online and access them anywhere. Having Google Drive on Android TV lets you access all kinds of content from your smartphone or PC on TV. Unfortunately, Google Drive is unavailable on the Play Store for Android TVs. So, you need to sideload the app on your Android TV or use its web version. By default, Google Drive users can get 15 GB of free storage and the basic plan starts at $1.99/month for 100 GB.
Here, you can find the multiple ways to get Google Drive on Android TV. All you need to do is choose the way you’re comfortable with and follow the respective guidelines.
Table of Contents
How to Access Google Drive Using Browser
As the simplest way, you can access the Google Drive platform on your TV through its web version. For that, you have to use any of the best web browsers on your Android TV.
1. Open a web browser on your Android TV.
2. Enter the URL [https://drive.google.com/] in the address bar and go to that website.
3. Navigate to the Sign In option at the top-right corner of the home screen.
4. Log in with your Gmail account using valid credentials.
5. Then, you can access your Google Drive files on your Android TV.
How to Sideload Google Drive APK on Android TV
As we mentioned earlier, the Google Drive app is not available for Android TV. So, you need to sideload its APK file with the help of Downloader on Android TV to stream its content. However, this method is applicable only to the latest Android TVs and Android TV OS versions. So, make sure that your Android TV is updated to its latest version.
1. Turn on your Android TV and head to the Apps section.
2. Locate the Google Play Store and launch it.
3. Click on the Search icon and type Downloader in the required field.
4. Locate the Downloader app developed by AFTVnews and hit the Install button.
5. Wait for a while to download and install the Downloader app on your device.
6. Once the Downloader app is installed successfully, press the home button on your remote.
7. Now, navigate to the Settings icon from the home page.
8. From the options, go to Device Preferences → Security & Restrictions.
9. Click Unknown Sources → Turn on the Downloader toggle.
10. Now. go back to the home screen and launch the Downloader app.
11. Accept the storage and other permissions asked by the app on your TV.
12. Choose Home from the left pane, and type the below-mentioned URL in the required field.
Download link for Google Drive APK latest version: bit.ly/47rkiYX
13. Click Go to download the APK file on your Android TV.
14. Once the file is downloaded, open it and click Install.
15. Then, click Open to launch the app and watch your favorite media content.
How to Cast Google Drive on Android TV
If you’ve not opted for sideloading or a web surfing process, you can cast your Google Drive files through Google Photos on Andriod TV. Follow the below steps to screen mirror the Google Drive files from the smartphone to your TV.
1. Connect the Android TV to a WiFi network in which your smartphone is connected.
2. Sideload the Google Photos app on your Android smartphone from the Play Store.
3. After installing, launch the app and sign in with the Gmail account that you’re using for Google Drive.
4. Access any media files either video or audio on the app.
5. Go to the Notification Panel and tap the Cast icon.
6. Choose your Android TV. Now, the media content from Google Drive will appear on your Android TV.
Supported Android TVs and Boxes
|Smart TV Boxes
|Sony Smart TV
TCL Smart TV
OnePlus Smart TV
Panasonic Smart TV
Sharp Smart TV
Vu Smart TV
Philips Smart TV
Xiaomi Mi Smart TV
Hisense Smart TV
Nvidia Shield TV
Google Drive Not Working on Android TV: How to Fix
Since we’ve installed the Google Drive app on Android TV by getting it from third-party sources, you will face many issues with the app while streaming on your TV. In such cases, you need to perform the troubleshooting fixes listed below to resolve those problems.
- Make sure that your Android TV and the app get the proper internet speed.
- Restart your Android TV to resolve the temporary bugs associated with the device and app.
- If there is a new version available for Google Drive, uninstall the current one and sideload the latest version.
- Clear the app cache files for Google Drive accumulated on your Smart TV.
- Update your Android TV firmware.
- Reset your Android TV to solve the major problems, then set up your Smart TV to install the app again.
Google Drive Alternatives
If you feel that Google Drive isn’t for you or if you are unsatisfied with the service it provides, you can switch over to some other cloud platforms to store and access your media files. Here are the best options you can choose as an alternative solution to Google Drive.
|Freemium ($1.99 per user/month)
|Freemium ($9.99 per user/month)
|Freemium ($14.50 per user/month)
No, it is not possible to install the Google Drive app from the Play Store. However, you can sideload it using Downloader or Solid Explorer File Manager on Android TV.
Using the VLC Media Player app on Android TV or Google Photos, you can access Google Drive videos.