Freeview is the best streaming option for watching UK-based content for free. It provides Freeview Play on all smart devices to access the content instantly. You can get this Freeview Play app on your Android TV from the Play Store. This app also offers a TV catch-up facility to stream the content at the desired time.
Freeview Play offers on-demand content from BBC iPlayer, ITVX, My5, All 4, and UKTV Play. You can access 100+ Live TV channels with TV guide support. This app has a TV Recorded option to save the content for streaming offline on your Android TV. You can also access the content from 1500 Boxsets.
In this article, you will learn how to access Freeview Play on your Android TV via Play Store. Suppose your Android TV doesn’t support Freeview Play, then you can sideload the app using the Downloader.
How to Install Freeview on Android TV from Play Store
1. Go to the home screen on your Android TV and click on Apps.
2. Open the Google Play Store and click the Search icon.
3. Enter Freeview] in the search bar and locate the app.
4. Select Freeview Play from the suggested result.
5. Click Install to get the app on your Android TV.
6. Once the app is installed, click Open to launch the app.
7. When the home screen appears, play your favorite content.
How to Sideload Freeview Play on Android TV
The Freeview Play app is not available for Android TV. So, to stream its content, you need to sideload it using the Downloader app.
1. Install the Downloader app on your Android TV from the Play Store.
2. Click the Settings icon on your Android TV.
3. From the options, go to Device Preferences → Security & Restrictions.
4. Click Unknown Sources → Turn on the Downloader toggle.
5. Now, open the Downloader app on Android TV from the home screen.
6. Tap Allow to accept the storage permissions.
7. Choose Home from the left pane, and enter the download link of Freeview Play APK [https://bit.ly/3PlYk3X] in the URL field.
8. Click Go to download the APK file on your Android TV.
9. Once the file is downloaded, open it and click Install.
10. Then, click Open to launch the app and watch the content.
How to Watch Freeview Play Using Browser
In the Play Store, there are quite a number of web browsers available for Android TV. You can use any of those web browsers on your Android TV to access the Freeview platform.
1. Open a web browser on your Android TV.
2. Enter the URL [https://www.freeview.co.uk/freeview-play] in the address bar and go to that website.
3. The website’s home screen will appear on the TV screen.
4. Click the Sign In button and enter your credentials.
5. Then, you can access your favorite content on your Android TV.
How to Cast Freeview on Android TV
If you don’t want to sideload the app/access the website on Android TV, then you can screen mirror its app from your Android smartphone to your TV screen.
1. Connect your smartphone and Android TV to the same WiFi network.
2. Download Freeview Play from the Play Store on your Android smartphone.
3. Launch the app and log in with your credentials if needed.
4. Play the video content on the Freeview Play app.
5. Go to the Notification Panel and tap the Cast icon.
6. Choose your Android TV. Now, the video content will appear on your Android TV.
Supported Android TVs
- Sony Smart TV
- TCL Smart TV
- OnePlus Smart TV
- Sharp Smart TV
- Vu Smart TV
- Philips Smart TV
- Xiaomi Mi Smart TV
- Hisense Smart TV
Supported Android TV Boxes
- Nvidia Shield TV
- Airtel Xstream
- MXQ Pro 4K
- Mi Box 4K
Yes, if you order a Smart TV from the Freeview website, the Freeview app will be pre-installed on your TV.
You can get the Freeview app on your Sony TV from the Play Store. Sony Smart TVs are not available on the Freeview website.