Most of us will prefer the Chrome browser for our browsing needs. But Mozilla Firefox is the best web browser in terms of RAM usage and other aspects. To install the Mozilla Firefox browser on your Android TV, you have to sideload the browser using the Downloader app.
Mozilla Firefox is a web browser that is known for its speed. All the common features like Bookmarks, Group Tabs, Shortcuts, Personalized Feeds, and Sync across multiple devices are available in the Firefox browser. That is why Firefox is featured as one of the best web browsers for Android TV and Android TV Box.
How to Sideload Firefox on Android TV / Android TV Box
1. Open the Google Play Store app on your Android TV.
2. Click on the Search icon on the Play Store.
3. Search for the Downloader app.
4. Choose the Downloader app from the search results.
5. Tap the Install button and get the Downloader app on your Android TV.
6. Firstly, open the Settings app on your Android TV and select Device Preferences.
7. Select the Security & Restrictions option.
8. Select the Unknown Sources option.
9. Select the Downloader app and turn on the toggle.
10. Then, launch the Downloader app on your TV.
11. If prompted, click on the Allow option.
12. Go to the Search Bar and enter the AFTVnews Plugin URL (browser.aftvnews.com). This will download the AFTV plugin. Without the plugin, you can’t install any APKs.
13. Then, enter the Firefox Android TV APK URL and click the Go button.
14. Download the APK file and tap the Install button.
15. As soon as the browser is installed, launch the browser by tapping the Open button.
16. If you can’t open the Firefox APK file, install the Sideload Launcher on Android TV to access the APK file.
Since you have sideloaded the mobile version of the Firefox browser on your TV, we suggest you use the Mouse Toggle app on Android TV for better navigation. If possible, connect a keyboard or mouse to your TV.
How to Sideload Firefox on Android TV Using Aptoide TV
Using Aptoide TV, you don’t need to enter any APK URL. Aptoide TV is more like Google Play Store. You can use the Aptoide TV to install apps and games on your Android TV.
1. Install the Apotide TV app on your Android TV.
2. Enable Unknown Sources for Aptoide TV (Settings → Device Preferences → Security & Restrictions → Unknown Sources → Aptoide TV → turn on the toggle).
3. Go to the search bar and type Firefox.
4. Hit the Search icon and select the Firefox for TV app.
5. Tap the Install button. The app will be installed on your Android TV.
6. Now, launch the Sideload Launcher app and open the Firefox browser.
How to Use Firefox on Android TV
1. When you open the Firefox browser, you will get the Turbo Mode page. Turn on the Turbo Mode to block ads and trackers. If you don’t want to block ads, turn off Turbo Mode.
2. On the Firefox homepage, you will get the shortcuts and the search bar.
3. Click the Search bar and enter the webpage that you want to visit or the query you want.
4. On the homepage, you can add up to 10 shortcuts and you can order them in any way you want.
5. Next to the search bar, you will have the Settings icon. Clicking the icon will open the customization options like History, Downloads, Add-ons, and more.
Supported Android TVs
- Sony Smart TV
- Philips Smart TV
- JVC Smart TV
- Panasonic Smart TV
- Mi Smart TV
- TCL Smart TV
- Toshiba Smart TV
- Sharp Smart TV
Supported Android TV Boxes
- Nvidia Shield TV
- DIRECTV Box
- Air TV
- Mi Box
- H96 Android TV Box
Firefox for TVs
Mozilla developed the Firefox browser for Amazon Fire TVs. But, due to some issues, the browser is removed from the Amazon App Store. Similarly, the Firefox browser was available for Android TVs in the Google Play Store, named Firefox For TV. But, later on, it was removed, citing performance issues. After that, Firefox stopped developing browsers for TVs and streaming devices.
When compared to Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox has the minimum requirements in terms of specifications. Due to these reasons, the Firefox browser is preferred for low-end devices like Smart TVs and streaming devices. Though the browser is not available for Android TVs, sideloading it will make your browsing needs easier.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, the Chrome browser is unavailable on the Play Store for Android TVs. You have to sideload the Google Chrome browser on your Android TV.
Yes, web browsers like Puffin TV, TV Bro, and TV Web Browser are officially available for Android TV in the Play Store.