Video Player is the must-have app for the user who loves to watch videos, movies, or tv shows on their Android TV. Today we have many streaming services for entertainment, such as Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and more. Sometimes you may face issues while trying to play local HD/UHD videos on a built-in video player of your Smart TV. It is due to the lack of hardware acceleration or codec support. Let us look at the best and free video players for Android TV that will help you play all the video formats.
Best Video Player for Android TV
These video players are directly available on the Google Play store for free. They are completely safe and tested by tech experts. You can unlock more features using in-app purchases.
1) VLC for Android TV
- VLC can play both audio and video files Ad-free.
- On-screen gesture support to improve the playback experience.
- Play videos from YouTube and Dailymotion.
- You can add or download subtitles.
- Comes with playback speed control.
- Widgets to control volume, headset, and brightness.
- Built-in screencast support.
2) MX Player
- First Android video player to support multi-core decoding.
- Ideal for playing both video and audio files.
- Zoom in and out by pinching and swiping across the screen.
- On-screen gesture support to move forward/backward and volume controls.
- Built-in MX file sharing app to transfer audio/video/photos without internet.
- Kids lock feature to lock the screen while playing videos.
- Equalizer support choosing your ideal preference for music.
Guide: MX Player for Android TV
3) KM Player
- Supports all high-quality video, including 4K, 8K, UHD, and 60FPS.
- On-screen controls to adjust the screen size, ratio, and window transparency.
- Search and add subtitles online.
- You can even merge multiple subtitles.
- You can adjust brightness, contrast, hue, saturation, and gamma details.
- Cast videos to devices with the Chromecast feature.
- It can support network streaming by entering a URL.
- You can upgrade for $3.90 to get many features, including the DivX codec.
Guide: KM Player for Android TV
4) X Player
- X player can support UHD 4K videos using hardware acceleration.
- Gesture control to adjust brightness, volume and to zoom in and out.
- It supports Chromecast to cast files from your device.
- It can protect your files by adding them to the Private folder.
- Auto-sync option to discover files stored on your device.
- Auto-rotation, aspect-ratio adjustment, and screen-lock are notable features.
- Subtitles can be downloaded within this app.
5) BS Player
- It is also a multi-core supported video player for Android TV.
- Playback files directly from uncompressed RAR files.
- It can play both audio and video files of all formats.
- It comes with a lock screen which is necessary for kids.
- Hardware acceleration helps to play videos smoothly and consumes less battery.
- It supports USB OTG, which is more useful.
- It can play both video and audio files, including m4a.
- You can hide your videos to protect your privacy.
- Built-in video to audio converter to enjoy music.
- Search and download subtitles online.
- Advanced kernel SW decoder to improve playback experience.
- Turn on the Floating-play window to enable multitasking.
- 4K, 1080p, MKV, FLV, 3GP, M4V, TS, and MPG are the supported formats.
Guide: PLAYit app for Android TV
7) FX Player
- Supports all formats, including 10bit, FHD, 4K, and 8K.
- It can also support network streaming.
- It comes with a pop-up play option to perform multitasking.
- Provided with video and mp3 converter to extract files.
- Built-in Chromecast support for casting any media.
- Download option to save files from the web.
- One of the best video players for Android TV to play HD and 4K videos.
- Supports pan and zoom with gesture control.
- Adjust playback speed and pause/resume videos.
- In-built five-band equalizer with bass support.
- Video locker for saving your private videos.
- Comes with a video cutter, mp3 cutter, and video to mp3 converter.
- Night mode for playing videos in dark places.
9) Nova Video Player
- Supports video formats such as MKV, MP4, AVI, WMV, FLV, and more.
- Provided hardware acceleration to play videos smoothly.
- It can play videos from network servers like FTP, SFTP, NAS, SMB, and UPnP.
- Dedicated lean-back user interface for all Android TV models.
- Supports AC3/DTS audio from Nexus Player, NVidia SHIELD TV, Rockchip, and Amlogic based TV-boxes.
- Gesture action to adjust the volume levels.
- 3D support with side-by-side and top-bottom formats playback for 3D TVs.
10) GOM Player
- Play files directly from Dropbox, Google Drive, or OneDrive.
- Gesture support to adjust brightness, fast-forwarding, and volume control.
- Subtitle settings to modify shadow, text, sync, and more.
- 360 VR mode exclusive on GOM Player.
- Screenshot support while playing videos.
- EAC3 and DTS codecs can be unlocked using in app-purchases.
Frequently Asked Questions
VLC for Android, MX Player, and KM Player is the best ones to install on Android TV.
Yes, it can play all types of HDR 10bit videos.