BBC iPlayer is an on-demand streaming platform dedicated to the British-based media content. BBC iPlayer is compatible with almost all devices, including Android TV. You can install the BBC iPlayer on Android TV from the Google Play Store. After installing, activation is the mandatory process to stream BBC iPlayer on TV.
Also, Brits can stream the content from this platform through web browsing or screen mirroring. However, the users should sideload it if they are from non-british region.
This streaming platform offers content on numerous categories like Films, Comedy, Documentaries, History, Lifestyle, Food, Music, Sport, News, Arts, and more. Moreover, it covers content from the channels, such as CBBC, CBeebies, Alba, S4C, BBC One, Two, and more.
This curated guide deals with the instructions for direct installing, activating, sideloading, web browsing, and screen mirroring techniques to stream BBC iPlayer on Android TV.
How to Install BBC iPlayer on Android TV from the Play Store
1. Go to the home screen on your Android TV and click on Apps.
2. Open the Google Play Store and click the Search icon.
3. Enter BBC iPlayer in the search bar and locate the app.
4. Select BBC iPlayer from the suggested result.
5. Click Install to get the app on your Android TV.
6. Once the app is installed, click Open to launch the app.
7. When the home screen appears, play your favorite content.
How to Activate BBC iPlayer on Android TV
1. Launch the BBC iPlayer app on your Android TV and select Sign In.
2. You will get the activation code along with the activation page URL.
3. Now, go to the BBC iPlayer activation website on your smartphone or PC.
4. Enter the code and click the Sign In on your TV button.
5. After that, sign in with your TV provider or subscribed account to complete the activation.
6. Now, the BBC iPlayer will be activated on your Android TV. You can access all the content.
How to Install BBC iPlayer on Android TV Outside UK
If you can’t find BBC iPlayer in the Play Store in your country other than the UK, it must be geo-restricted. Therefore, you need to sideload its APK file using the Downloader on Android TV.
1. Turn on your Android TV and head to the Apps section.
2. Locate the Google Play Store and launch it.
3. Click on the Search icon and type Downloader in the required field.
4. Locate the Downloader app developed by AFTVnews and hit the Install button.
5. Wait for a while to download and install the Downloader app on your device.
6. Once the Downloader app is installed successfully, press the home button on your remote.
7. Now, navigate to the Settings icon from the home page.
8. From the options, go to Device Preferences → Security & Restrictions.
9. Click Unknown Sources → Turn on the Downloader toggle.
10. Now. go back to the home screen and launch the Downloader app.
11. Accept the storage and other permissions asked by the app on your TV.
12. Choose Home from the left pane, and type the below-mentioned URL in the required field.
Download link for the BBC iPlayer APK’s latest version: bitly.ws/33J2B
13. Click Go to download the APK file on your Android TV.
14. Once the file is downloaded, open it and click Install.
15. After the downloading process, return to the homepage and navigate to the Apps section.
17. Then, click Open to launch the BBC iPlayer app and watch your desired media content.
How to Watch BBC iPlayer Using Browser
In the Play Store, there are quite a number of web browsers available for Android TV. You can use any of those web browsers on your Android TV to access BBC iPlayer.
1. Open a web browser on your Android TV.
2. Enter the URL bbc.co.uk/iplayer in the address bar and go to that website.
3. Click the Sign In button and enter your credentials or create a new account by hitting the Register button.
4. The home screen of the BBC iPlayer will appear on the TV screen.
5. Then, you can access your favorite content on your Android TV.
How to Cast BBC iPlayer on Android TV
The BBC iPlayer is compatible with the built-in Cast support. With that, you can easily cast the BBC iPlayer from your smartphone to Android TV if you don’t want to sideload the app.
1. Install the BBC iPlayer from the Google Play Store.
2. Connect Android TV to a WiFi network. On the other hand, connect your smartphone to the same network.
3. Open the BBC iPlayer on your smartphone and log in with your account if needed.
4. Play the content you want and click the Cast icon from the app
5. Choose your Android TV from the list of available devices.
6. Now, the content you stream on the smartphone will appear on your Android TV.
How to AirPlay BBC iPlayer on Android TV
If you have an iPhone/iPad, you can install the BBC iPlayer directly from the App Store and Airplay the app on your Android TV. Before you mirror the content, ensure to enable AirPlay on your Android TV.
1. Connect the Android TV to a WiFi network in which your smartphone is connected.
2. Download the BBC iPlayer on your iPhone/iPad from the App Store.
3. Log in to the BBC iPlayer app once installed.
4. Play the video content on the app.
5. Navigate to the AirPlay icon at the top right corner while playing the video.
6. Choose your Android TV. Now, the video content will appear on your Android TV.
Supported Android TVs and Boxes
|Smart TVs||Smart TV Boxes|
|Sony Smart TV|
TCL Smart TV
OnePlus Smart TV
Sharp Smart TV
Vu Smart TV
Philips Smart TV
Xiaomi Mi Smart TV
Hisense Smart TV
|Nvidia Shield TV|
Mi Box and Mi Box S
Mecool Android TV Box
MXQ Pro 4K
Mi Box 4K
How to Fix BBC iPlayer Not Working on Android TV
If the BBC iPlayer app is not working properly on your Android TV due to issues like a black screen, app freezing, and more, then you need to perform the troubleshooting fixes listed below to resolve those problems.
- Ensure your Android TV is connected to an internet connection with higher bandwidth.
- Check the server status of BBC iPlayer on Twitter and third-party sites like Downdetector if you can’t access the content.
- Reboot your Android TV to resolve the temporary bugs associated with the device and app.
- Close and relaunch the BBC iPlayer application on your device.
- Update your Android TV firmware and the app to the latest version.
- Clear the app cache files for the BBC iPlayer app.
- Reset your Android TV to the factory settings, and start setting up BBC iPlayer from scratch.
BBC iPlayer Alternatives
If you feel that BBC iPlayer isn’t for you or if you are unsatisfied with the service it provides, you can switch over to some other platform to stream the media content from the UK. Here are the best options you can choose as an alternative solution to BBC iPlayer.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, BBC iPlayer is available on both Android and Google TV platforms and you can install it directly without sideloading.
BBC iPlayer has a standalone application for Fire TV and you can install it from the Amazon App Store.
BBC iPlayer doesn’t have subscription or membership plans. However, you will need a TV license to stream the content on BBC iPlayer.