Apple TV, the name itself describes it as a media streaming service from Apple. You might be wondering, is it possible to access Apple TV on an Android TV? This is because Apple services are restricted to their own devices. However, Apple has extended the services of Apple TV to Android TV, following Apple Music. You can add Apple TV from the Google Play Store on your Android TV and sign in with your account to stream the content. For this, your Smart TV must run on Android TVOS 8 & later.
On Apple TV, you can buy or rent movies to stream them. Further, many apps can be accessed from Apple TV if you are subscribed to them. The most attractive feature of Apple TV is the Apple TV+ section. In this section, you can get access to amazing Apple TV Original shows. These shows are exclusive to the app, and you can’t get them elsewhere.
You can find a lot of cool Apple TV Original content if you get subscribed to Apple TV+ (Plus).
- You will get free access to the Apple TV+ service for three months after purchasing a new Apple device.
- You can also get an Apple TV+ subscription at $4.99 per month with a free trial of seven days.
- You can get an Apple One subscription for $14.99 per month. It includes Apple TV+ along with other Apple Services (Apple Music, iCloud+, Apple Arcade, Apple News+, and Apple Fitness+).
- Also, you can share your subscription with five family members for simultaneous streaming.
Apple TV on Android TV
The Apple TV app was made available on Android TV not long ago. So if you have an Android TV, start streaming Apple TV Original shows, including Ted Lasso.
Supported Android TVs
- TCL Smart TV
- Philips Smart TV
- Hisense Smart TV
- Sharp Smart TV
- Sony Smart TV
- MI Smart TV
- Xiaomi Mi Smart TV
Supported Android TV Boxes
- NVIDIA SHIELD TV
- Xiaomi Mi Smart Box
- DIRECTV Stream
How to Download and Install Apple TV on Android TV
The Apple TV app is available for download on multiple devices, and that includes Android TV. So all you need is an Apple TV subscription that will let you enjoy the Apple TV library on your TV.
1. On your Android TV remote, press the Home button to open the home screen.
2. Choose the Apps tab and then navigate to open the Google Play Store.
3. Click on the Search icon.
4. Search for Apple TV by typing it down on the search bar.
5. Select the Apple TV app icon from the search results on your screen.
6. To start installing the app, click on the Install button.
7. Once the download finishes, you can open the Apple TV app on your TV.
8. Get the Activation code on your screen.
9. Visit activate.apple.com from a web browser.
10. Further, enter the activation code on the screen in the space provided.
11. Get your subscription activated and start streaming your favorite content.
AirPlay Apple TV to Android TV from iPhone/iPad
The Apple TV app on iPhone and iPad are not compatible with Chromecast support. However, you can Airplay them to the compatible Android Smart TV. The latest Android TV models support Apple HomeKit to play media content from Apple devices.
1. Enable Airplay on your Android TV.
- Press the input button on your remote control.
- Select Airplay.
- On the next screen, choose the AirPlay & HomeKit settings.
- Turn on the Airplay setting.
2. Launch the Apple TV app and ensure that you are logged in.
3. Click the Airplay icon that you can see on the media player.
4. Select your Android TV from the list (Your Android TV and iPhone must be on the same WiFi network).
5. Now, the media will play on your Android TV.
Apple TV+ has a web app that you can access on a web browser. With the help of the Chrome browser, you can cast it to Android TV from a Windows or Mac computer.
1. Turn on your computer and connect it to the same Wi-Fi as your TV.
2. Open the Google Chrome web browser on your computer.
3. Further, visit Apple TV + webpage from the web browser.
4. Select the Customize icon (three-dotted icon) on the top-right corner of your screen.
5. Click on the Cast option from the menu. With this, you can see a list of available devices to cast with.
6. Select your Android TV from this list of devices.
7. Click on the Sources option and then on the Cast tab option.
8. Now, you can see that Apple TV has been cast on your TV.
Sideload Apple TV Apk onAndroid TV
Users who had an older version of Android TV can sideload the Apple TV apk with the help of the Downloader app.
#1. First of all, enable unknown sources for the Downloader app to sideload apps (Settings → Device Preferences → Security & Restrictions → Unknown Sources → Downloader → enable the setting).
#2. Launch the Downloader app.
#3. Enter the URL for the Apple TV apk.
#4. Click on GO to download the Apple TV apk file.
#5. After downloading the file, install it on your Android TV.
#6. Once the installation completes, launch the Apple TV app and go through the activation process.
Other Supported Devices
- iPhone and iPad
- Amazon Fire TV Stick
- Amazon Fire TV
- Apple TV
- Roku Streaming devices
- Roku TV
- Smasung, LG, and Vizio TVs
- PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5
- Xbox One and Xbox One S
- Xbox Series X and S
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. Android TV has an official Apple TV app which you can download from the Google Play Store.
Apple TV isn’t available on the older versions of Android TVs. You should have a device running on Android TV 8 or later versions.