Portrait mode is the default mode on your Android smartphone. But for TVs, the default mode is the Landscape mode. If you want to use your Android TV Portrait mode, you have to tweak its settings. Using the Portrait mode will automatically convert your widescreen into a vertical portrait mode. You can do it through the Set Orientation app, which is capable of changing the orientation of your Android TV.
Portrait Mode on Android TV will be useful when you want to play games on Android TV, like Subway Surfers, Minion Rush, and Temple Run.
How to Set Android TV to Portrait Mode: Using App
1. On your Android TV home screen, open the Google Play Store app.
2. Using the Search icon, search for the Downloader app.
3. Select the Downloader app and tap the Install button.
4. Then, open the Android TV Settings menu and choose the Device Preferences option.
5. Choose the Security & Restrictions menu and choose the Unknown Sources feature.
6. Enable the Downloader app toggle.
7. Open the Downloader app and enter the AFTVnews Plugin URL (browser.aftvnews.com).
8. This will install the AFTVnews Plugin. The plugin is used to install APK files on Downloader.
9. Then, enter the Set Orientation Android TV APK URL and click the Go button.
10. Download the APK file and tap the Install button.
11. Click the Open button to launch the Set Orientation app on your Android TV.
How to Use Set Orientation App on Android TV
1. Install the Sideload Launcher on Android TV to open the Set Orientation app.
2. For the first time, you will get the confirmation popup. Click the OK button.
3. Click on the Down arrow on the menu to see more options.
4. Choose the Portrait option to set the TV in Portrait mode.
5. If your screen is upside down, click on the Portrait Reverse option.
6. You can also choose the Automatic option. This will change the orientation based on the app you are using.
Using third-party apps like Set Orientation, you can rotate your Sony Android TV screen.