Ads are the most annoying thing on smart devices, including Android TV. A popup ad will distract you from work when you are surfing the internet or doing some important task online. To block ads on Android TV, you need to use either ad blocker plugins or apps. For the last two months, we’ve been using my TV without any ad interruption. Do you know how? We have used two different ways, such as Blokada and AdGuard DNS to achieve that. However, there are so many ad-blocking apps you can use to block ads.
This guide is prepared by our tech experts with the aim of providing an in-depth understanding of blocking ads on Android TV. Let’s delve into the article and explore the ad-blocking options.
Table of Contents
Ways to Block Ads on Android TV
There are two different ways you can use to block ads while navigating the TV apps and surfing the browser on Android TV. You can use any of them depending upon your convenience.
- Using Blokada
- Using AdGuard DNS
Block Ads on Android TV Using Blokada
Blokada is a popular ad blocker app that you can sideload on your Android TV from a third-party source. The tool can be operated easily with the Android TV remote.
1. Turn on your PC and visit the Blokada website (https://blokada.org/) to download the apk installer file.
2. Next, copy the Blokada apk to the pen drive.
3. Turn on your Android TV and connect the pen drive to the TV.
4. Install a File Manager app on your Android TV. We recommend you use the FX File Explorer app.
5. Go to Settings on your Android TV.
6. Choose the Device Preferences option.
7. Select the Security & Restrictions option.
8. Tap the Unknown Sources menu and turn on the FX File Explorer app.
9. Then, open the FX File Explorer app and open the Media Card icon.
10. Choose the Blokada APK file and install it on your TV.
How to Use Blokada on Android TV
1. Launch the Blokada app on your TV.
2. Go through the on-screen instructions.
3. Next, click on the Power button to boot the device and block ads on your Android TV.
4. If this doesn’t block ads, launch App Settings on the Blokada app.
5. From the menu, click on the Start on boot option.
7. If you wish, click on Host Lists and add more details to the ad blocking.
How to Block Ads on Android TV Using AdGuard DNS
1. Turn on your Android TV and connect it to a WiFi network.
2. Select the Network & Internet option from the Android TV Settings.
3. From the menu, select the IP Settings option
4. Select Static IP and keep all Static IP, Gateway IP, and network prefix default.
5. To block ads and trackers, set DNS1 IP to 18.104.22.168 and DNS2 IP to 22.214.171.124.
6. To block ads, adult sites, and trackers, set DNS1 IP to 126.96.36.199 and DNS2 IP to 188.8.131.52.
7. Finally, save the changes.
8. Restart your Android TV and you won’t get any ads.
Ad Blocking Apps for Android TV
Recently, personalized ads and privacy have become the most important aspect of our digital life. With that, a lot of ad-blocking apps are hitting the market. For Android TV, these ad-blocking apps are available.
- Smart YouTube TV
- Block This
Smart YouTube TV
If you are using YouTube or YouTube Music on your Android TV, you should install the Smart YouTube TV app. With the Smart YouTube TV app, you can block all the ads on the YouTube and YouTube Music apps for free. You can also use the app to block ads on other Google services. This is an open-source app available on the GitHub platform. You have to sideload the app on your Android TV.
If you want a simple ad-blocker for your Android TV, you can get the AdAway app. Using the AdAway app on Android TV, your personalized ad requests will go to random IPs so that you won’t get any ads. AdAway is developed for Android smartphones. But, by using Downloader on Android TV, you can get the AdAway app on your TV and block ads efficiently.
Block This is the efficient adblock app available for Android smartphones and Android TVs. The app uses a VPN-styled setup which runs in the background. All the popup ads are blocked in the background and you will get an ad-free browsing experience on your Android TV.
How to Change Ad Settings on Android TV
In Android TV, you have two options for Ad recommendations. You can turn off the personalized ads settings to get random ads, or you can turn on the Ad personalization and get more personalized ads. You can reset your ad preferences to get new personalized ads.
1. On your AndroidTV, go to the Settings menu.
2. Choose the Device option.
3. Select the Preferences menu.
4. Scroll down a bit and choose the About option.
5. Tap on the Legal Information button.
6. Select the Ads feature.
7. Click the Rese Ad ID to reset all your personalized ad preferences. After this, you will get personalized ads based on your most recent data.
8. Click the Ad personalization and choose Turn off to switch off the ad personalization. After this, you won’t get any personalized ads and will get common ads.
Frequently Asked Questions
To block ads from YouTube on Android TV, you can use the Smart YouTube TV app. You can also buy YouTube Premium to get ad-free streaming.
Yes, you can sideload the YouTube Vanced on Android TV using Downloader. With this app, you can block all kinds of advertisements effectively on YouTube.